Garage Lighting,

Kevin (Mr T)

I can't be the only poor sod using a rented garage, with no power, away from where I live.

Has anyone get a solution for lighting, as at the moment I'm having to use a light on my head just to find my tools!

a quiet-ish running generator and some builders lamps would do it but I would worry about leaving the generator

pop down to machine mart

or you can get this sort of thing if you are not worried about running other things (like the kettle etc) http://www.autosessive.com/products/99705/rechargeable-fluorescent-floor-light-2-x-20w?gclid=CNfX65v3nsoCFQw6GwodQoUBYQ

I used 12v caravan flourescent lights off a car battery

Its surprising how much difference they make in a dingy garage

I took it home to recharge when needed

A leisure battery would be better still

Good thread Mr T, I too have a rented garage with no power or lights and on this threads recommendation have just bought two of the ceiling lights from Mr Beams - will let you know how I get on!

Good thread Mr T, I too have a rented garage with no power or lights and on this threads recommendation have just bought two of the ceiling lights from Mr Beams - will let you know how I get on!

Please do!

Have a look on eBay at portable led floodlight a couple of 20w ones would give loads of light and last for about 5 hours on a charge

I had a similar problem but was able to use a 50m extension reel from the house. The new garage has mains but only one double plug so will still need the extension for some stuff

On a slightly different note, I want to boost the mains lighting levels in the garage.

I currently have a 5foot fluorescent in the centre of the garage, which leaves dim spots at the ends of the garage.

I was thinking about fitting something like this, 50W

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131644582144

Anyone got any experience of something like this?

I've got 2 50W LED floodlights on the back of the house up at gutter level that light up our patio,

The light they throw out is extremenly good for their wattage.  I'm not too sure how good they'd be in a confined space like a garage tho as "worklights" seem to be a lot brighter.

Can you net find a few more Flourescents to link up on the garage roof?  I put 6 new ones in our double garage, each wired seperately on a 6 panel switch.  THis lets me adjust the light levels whereever I need it, or have all 6 blasting together.  No dim spots.

I've still got 2 portable working lights that I can place around or under the car for working on tho.

Some these LEDs will give quite a hard light that will give shadows.  If for working on the car I would suggest a more diffused light

Have a search on eBay for "10W rechargeable work light" and do the same on Youtube. I have to be honest, if I didn't already have too many work lights I would definitely buy one of those.