Looking for an SEIW or FW 2000 Duratec or Zetec

Jim G

I don't seem to having much luck with Westfield ownership so far :(. My first two cars turned out not to be what I really wanted and unfortunately the car I just bought this weekend is going back to the seller. 

I have been looking into the possibility of building my own but have almost shelved that idea until I retire or win the lottery.

So once again, I'm on the lookout. This time, for a well sorted Duratec or Zetec 2.0 engined Westy.

I would prefer one that isn't on a Q reg ( just personal preference) although that's not set in concrete. I will be mainly using it on the road and hopefully getting in a few track days. I'd like a full windscreen and possibly weather kit but that's not too important as I would like to have one of the 3/4 hoods with just a set of doors.

I'm looking for something with throttle bodies and a good ECU running over 170bhp. Good suspension, that has been properly set up. Hopefully a locking boot lid. Four pot brakes. Removable steering wheel. Padded seats. Tidy bodywork, not painted and either a factory build or one that has been built by a real perfectionist. 

If you know of a car that has most of the above give me a shout please, I'd really appreciate it.

Failing this I'll probably end up with an Elise...:rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim - I don't have a car for sale unfortunately but I have a couple of observations.

I know there is something nice about an age related plate until it comes to MOT time. A Q plate generally means the test is for no visible smoke - that's it!

If you read there have been a number of new Duratec engined cars that have had big problems getting the emissions under control.

A factory built car may have a weber ECU which is not easily accessible by many tuners - an MBE, DTA or Emerald might be better.

Finally, it's not the weather, it's the clothes! Having spent 9 years in Harrogate, I can offer some advice. Yes to the windscreen but add smallish wind deflectors. The big ones cause too much air to be deflected and eddy into the car. I have a half hood but have only used it once or twice. Get one from Soft Bits for Sevens - they make them to size. 

Good luck with finding a suitable car and be prepared to travel - mine came from Bournemouth and the inconvenience over a day or two pays off for the ten years I've owned it.

I can't recall if it was here or FaceBook that someone mentioned making a list of the must-haves and a list of the nice-to-haves to help sort through potential cars, but given your slightly unusual circumstances of having been through a couple in short order, it might be worth also posting up what you haven't got on with about the cars you've had.

Are you looking for something that feels very aggressive/raw? (Do you come from a big bike background). Or are you looking for something that's faster, but lazier, i.e. bags of torque and doesn't need rowing along with gear changes?

I ask, 'cause although the engine sizes are creeping up with everyone you look at, I'm wondering if it's more the character of the cars that's the struggle...

On 8/2/2017 at 09:43, Rory's Dad said:

Hi Jim - I don't have a car for sale unfortunately but I have a couple of observations.

I know there is something nice about an age related plate until it comes to MOT time. A Q plate generally means the test is for no visible smoke - that's it!

If you read there have been a number of new Duratec engined cars that have had big problems getting the emissions under control.

A factory built car may have a weber ECU which is not easily accessible by many tuners - an MBE, DTA or Emerald might be better.

Finally, it's not the weather, it's the clothes! Having spent 9 years in Harrogate, I can offer some advice. Yes to the windscreen but add smallish wind deflectors. The big ones cause too much air to be deflected and eddy into the car. I have a half hood but have only used it once or twice. Get one from Soft Bits for Sevens - they make them to size. 

Good luck with finding a suitable car and be prepared to travel - mine came from Bournemouth and the inconvenience over a day or two pays off for the ten years I've owned it.

Thanks for the advice. So would a Zetec be a better choice due to the emissions if it's not on a Q plate. Also, if a newer engine is in a Q car does the emissions test not apply? If so Duratec may be the way to go?  

The half hood from softbits with doors is the way I'd prefer to go after having two cars with the impossible to get on, full hood! I have a spare set of Perspex deflectors so will be using those when it's dry. 

I have lived in Ripon for the last 40 years and as you'll know when it rains here it's often dry in Harrogate and vice-versa..

I have a Q (deliberate choice at IVA) with a brand new  (crate) Zetec. Emissions will not be an issue. 

So yes a Q with a newer engine is fine on emissions test at MOT time although must pass emissions at IVA. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 10:09, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I can't recall if it was here or FaceBook that someone mentioned making a list of the must-haves and a list of the nice-to-haves to help sort through potential cars, but given your slightly unusual circumstances of having been through a couple in short order, it might be worth also posting up what you haven't got on with about the cars you've had.

Are you looking for something that feels very aggressive/raw? (Do you come from a big bike background). Or are you looking for something that's faster, but lazier, i.e. bags of torque and doesn't need rowing along with gear changes?

I ask, 'cause although the engine sizes are creeping up with everyone you look at, I'm wondering if it's more the character of the cars that's the struggle...

It was on Facebook Dave, it was a reply to my ad and it is some god advice that I have taken on board. 

The first car I had a race engine,  clutch and gearbox which was great for the track day job but a bit of a pig on the road. Also it really needed a fair bit spending on suspension and setup. After having to re-wire the car and sort out other stuff I kind of lost interest after I'd driven it a few times it wasn't what I wanted. So then I bought a bog standard modular built 1.8 Zetec. A nice car but again after driving it a few times I realised that it wasn't the car for me. Again it needed some decent suspension. A wanted ad on here saw me selling it on with the intention of building one myself. Although after really looking into it and costing it out I've decided I will not be doing one any time soon. 

I am a bike man and have been since I was seventeen, but I'm not after the same thrill as a bike, I've still got a couple of bikes to satisfy that need. So I'm not looking for a bike engined one. 

I am like you say, after one with plenty of grunt and a decent turn of speed. Ultimately it needs to be well suspended and balanced and have good brakes. I guess I'm looking for the tail happy thrills of the capris I had in my teens but with slightly better handling..

Being a perfectionist is a PITA but I have no doubt the car for me is out there somewhere. 

@Jim G I am in Scarborough and you welcome to have a ride in Buttercup if you wish.

She has a 2.0 Zetec and is kitted out more a a touring car.

1 hour ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

@Jim G I am in Scarborough and you welcome to have a ride in Buttercup if you wish.

She has a 2.0 Zetec and is kitted out more a a touring car.

That's really kind of you Geoffrey, and if I'm going to be over that way I may just give you a shout - thanks 

If you get up our way @Jim G you'd be able to see a few varieties ranging from my 2.0 Zetec to a turbo Hayabusa and 4x4 cosworth Dax.

Being a similar "biker from the teens" type I might have an idea of what you like. Must admit I fancied a BEC but am now really happy with the grunt of a car engine in a nice light package. 

• Like 1

Still looking... had a couple of cars offered but the owners don't know if they really want to sell yet. 

what about the V8 Tom has posted for sale?

On 06/08/2017 at 11:05, CraigHew said:

what about the V8 Tom has posted for sale?

Ive seen it, nice car but I'm stuck on a Zetec 2.0 :)

Setting up a Westfield is not complicated or expensive. Get in touch with AdamR (Clear Motorsport). Yes he lives near Preston but you could take in the Blackpool Illuminations too!

Mine has just gone up for sale and may fit what you are looking for.

Hi Jim have sent you a pm as my car will be up for sale very soon

2015 2ltr factory built zetec

lots of factory upgrades 

my no is if you would like info

i am in co durham

John

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.