Mazda mx5 engine bay loom.

Chris Hooper

I have the loom ready to come out of the Mazda but in the engine bay there is one metal fixing holding the loom below the brake master cylinder its held on by a 10 mm bolt but it's been corroded by leaking fluid at some time. The bolt is obscured by most of the brake lines. Is there a way of getting at it with out removing the master cylinder? I can just about get a spanner on it but I can't move the bolt or indeed my hand when in there.

I've filled it with wd40 and plan to leave it over night.

I just got brutal with anything I couldn't get at on the donor and hacksawed through anything in the way if there was no resale value.  I wouldn't be too worried about ripping stuff out if you need to get a drill on that bolt.

I think I cut through most annoyingly placed brackets with a pair of (old) tin snips then unpeeled them.

If you are building from a single donor kit the first part of the braking system you will need are the calipers, I think everything else comes in the kit. I would suggest you strip parts away until you can get an angle grinder or dremmel in their, maybe some snips. 

some of the mazda loom brackets are decieving if i remeber correctly thery are like a metal pclip with rubber around them that wrap over there selvs so can be undone without removing the whole bracket clip thingy if you just cut through one of the sides of the clip

Ok thanks for the encouragement I will get right into it tonight with a more vigor.

Ok loom is out. It turned out if I loosened the master cylinder I could get a socket on a long extension in behind it and out came the loom. Tomorrows job prop shaft and hopefully the exhaust.

my exhasut was a nightmare ened up just cutting it off. before you take your prop off try loosening the rear hub nuts as these are a pain when you have nothing to pull against if you havent already. as the car gets lighter they are harder to undo

I unbolted my manifold, cut the rubbers and dragged the exhaust out whole when I lifted the engine. I mainly stuck to my strategy of going under the car as little as possible.

Well I took the exhaust off at the catalyst no worries. It looks like the exhaust has been changed fairly recently. It looks like every bolt in the suspension is rusted solid so I've used 1/2 a can of wd40 and gone to the pub.

You wait until you get to the rear lower wishbone bolts muhahahaha...hah.

Done the one on the back of the lower rear wishbone. The one on the front of the rear wish bone is so stuck I lifted the car of axel stands trying with a breaker bar BIT SCARY.

The thought occurs I could just cut the wish bones with a angle grinder and take them out to someone else to do.

That's the one I'm talking about I think, are you trying to undo the wishbones at both ends? I left all that stuff on the car and just took the hub carrier/upright. An impact gun is a godsend when stripping old cars.

Tbh I'm trying to find any thing I can undo and working from that.

You wait until you get to the rear lower wishbone bolts muhahahaha...hah.

That made me reach for the bottle.  I was trying to forget...... :down:

• Like 1