Anyone laid their Westy up for the winter?

Kezman

im using mine tomorrow for work and will be in it all winter :-) I try and do at least 100 miles per week in the old Mighty Cross flow plus Speed Series Events :-) 

Best at way to use them!

Always seems so sad when you read those posts that tell you someones road car did ten or twenty miles between MOT's.

• Like 1

Best at way to use them!

Always seems so sad when you read those posts that tell you someones road car did ten or twenty miles between MOT's.

That would be me  :down:

I went work in mine this week.....and I have to put full work gear ( safety boots/helmet ) etc in the passenger foot well. Anything for a drive....

Out in mine 5pm tonight "Dusk Drifting", Hooningan time... Love it

• Like 1

Went to work in mine yesterday and took the long detour home in the afternoon sun, fantastic!!!

Sun out now, roads drying nicely so I think we are going out very soon to take the long route to the Black Country area meet this evening!!!

Martyn & Sue 

I get 1000miles a year out of mine fairly reliability, and on some years have got quite close to the 3000miles my insurance is for.

A lot of that is driving to autotest events and back, but also summer drives, winter blow outs, and occasional trips to the middle of France, the Ring, etc.

Daniel 

• Like 1

Mines sat at the side of the house all wrapped up, minus 25°c. Not bl**** giving up, there got to be a minus five day coming.. Winter woolies and it's tally ho lads!! ;-)

• Like 4

Mine is at Northampton Motorsport, has been for the last 3 weeks : (

BGH type 9 should be ready in the next 7 days... Can't wait to get it back, still deciding wether to train up & drive the 144 miles back or trailer it back

When I do get it back I'll be hoping for a few dry days in the next few months, doubt I'll be able to resist even if the roads are wet, just as long as the roads are salt free !

I enjoy a bit of tinkering in the winter months, so it doesn't get laid up as such.  May be off road for a month or so but no hard and fast rule.  Last year and this year went on trackdays in February whne it was dry, sunny but very cold.

i think that but what normally happens is i do naff all till late feb then start doing stuff culminating in it being in many many pieces the day before stoneligh and having a massive dash to fit it all together  :)

i think that but what normally happens is i do naff all till late feb then start doing stuff culminating in it being in many many pieces the day before stoneligh and having a massive dash to fit it all together  :)

You really must get organized :t-up:

You really must get organized :t-up:

nah where would the fun of working non stop on the car 24hr a day for the 3 days before stoneligh and finishing @3am sunday morning be if i were to get organised :) lol

this year im ahead of the game as its already in a few bits .....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had to work all day Saturday, and Sunday was a wash out, in conjunction with watching Lewis bring it home...(come on). So I'm looking at this weekend to get some final drives in !!

Then for me I'm laying up for the winter. To all those that run right through the winter, honestly I salute you. For me and my personal circumstances which I won't bore you with however, it's the right thing to do...

This is my second season of ownership, so I have one winter lay up under my belt. I did the searches for info last time and tried to do things right best I could. Good clean and dry, extra psi in tyres, Handbrake off, for me battery off and taken inside (never really dropped in the four months of lay up however), Westy is laid up under my normal Stomeforce cover and Tarpaulins to which last time I had 3 x moisture trap thingy's (that were all full by spring) in cockpit, A spray of GT85 in various places and on good days throughout winter, cover would come off for a while to have some air flow i'd jump in and clutch and gear through etc.

I elected from forum search info not to start her up because of the theory of acid build up or something and that if you are going to start it up then do it properly and go for a run........For 2 or 3 reasons I can't go for a run, so therefore i don't start her up.The question I would like to put to members is that when I brought her out of lay up late March last time and did the 1st start up........my word, to my rookie ears I honestly thought something was wrong with the engine ! I have heard old tractors run better. 

My dad was with me at the time and he convinced me not to switch off but to let her run for a bit.... and what seemed like an age, but was probably about 2-3 mins it slowly sounded a bit better, then better again, then to a point where "yeah, I'm happy with that, she now sounds to what I would term as normal"

I am a rookie though and I've never had to lay anything up before. I suppose what I have described is the product of a car standing,  oil properly draining down etc

What can I do to try and elevate this next spring when she comes out? Is it teaspoon of oil down each cylinder at lay up? Crank over by hand?

Any advice.....appreciated.

It's as much likely to be just old fuel than anything. How full was the tank? (The more air gap in the tank, the more chance of condensation forming, which will settle, eventually, into plain old water in the fuel).

Oil pressure should come up nice and quickly, but over time, oil can drain down a little from the hydraulic tappets on the engine. These take a minute or two, (very occasionally one or two may take a little while longer, and a bit of revs) to pump back up again fully and quieten off.

All perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.