What should be in every Westie owners boot...

John K

Being semi serious for a minute... Quite a few threads (as bombero did) have mentioned throttle cables.

Is this a known weak spot?

John, kit in the boot - female on passenger seat - application of tape and cable ties entirely at occupants discretion :-)

Cables are an easy and small spare - definitely pack one ;-)

I have a throttle cable and a front engine belt when I do a long trip or track day - plus the tools as listed previous

Also a can of tyre repair as I don't carry a spare - or a jack but work on the basis I could beg or borrow a jack if I had too

and sun cream :t-up:

If a 10A fuse for the fuel pump blows you should be able to remove it easily and use one of the others to get moving

I have one of these that fits nicely behind the seat.

http://m.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-electricians-tool-bag-workstation/41507

In it I have,

Selection of nuts and bolts (handful)

A few cable ties,

10mm ratchet spanner

13mm ratchet spanner

Cheap multi function tool,

Gaffer tape

Throttle cable

Fuses

Spare glasses

Insulation tape

Washers

An anything else I can think of...

Has gotten me out of most sticky situations

(Also have a spare cut off switch key, clutch cable and tyre sealant) hidden and tied to different areas on the chassis.

Throttle cable are known for going, I've never had a throttle cable break yet, but they are so cheap I fit a new one every year as part of my service package ..

Just the roof!

Warning triangle and emergency tyre foam behind passenger seat.

You've lost me James!

Anyone would think by this thread that Westies were totally unreliable cars. At 23k mines been more reliable than more than 2/3rds of mass produced cars I've owned.

Sorry smeg - I was merely hinting at the fact that any fine and dandy gentleman with such a sports car should always have a tin of cheroots in the glove box in case of need !!!

In my boot is

"Get me home wire" that's an electrical wire with two crocodile clips on the ends. It's amazing what you can bypass or use to get you home. I've just broken mine so it's currently a roll of wore and wire cutter/strippers

Zip ties

electrical tape (as most problems are electrical)

Set of small sample of spanners with a min of 2x13 mm as that's the majority of bolted on bits. You need 2 to hold both halves so you can tighten it up.

Knife

Pair of pliers

Short length flat screwdriver to get nosecone off

Flat head and posi head screwdriver

I wrap all these up in a towel so they don't look like a toolkit and doesn't chink every bump.

Breakdown card and mobile in pocket

Other hand Towel to dry seats (all luxury me)

Ironically i dont have a spare tyre or tyre weld. I should add the tyre weld to my list.

Old kit car saying "take tools and you won't break down forget them then it will ... guaranteed!"

Only breakdowns i had were a fuse snap for the fuel pump. In the fuse itself. Gear lever weld failed, left with said lever in hand, thats not supposed to happen!

Also I'd take a bit of metal strip to use as a splint, summink will snap sooner or later.

Bolts... Usually if you lose one they can be robbed from other parts of the car.. Also exhausts can fail regularly due to the lack of mounts. Large stress is around the joint of manifold and can