E-Cigarette! :)

echoz

I gave up almost exactly 30 years ago today, aged 27, I was smoking 40 a day and stopped overnight... being told you have cancer does that to you :down:  didn't stop it coming back two years later but on the other hand I'm still alive 28 years on :t-up:   

it doesn't matter how you do it, just do it as your health is more important than anything  :)

Bloke i knew never smoked , never drank , exercised regularly , ate all te right food , never went with an loose women :t-up:

died at 63

Stick with it if you get rid for good its a great feeling knowing you have beaten it. Stopping will also save you a shed load of cash !!!  don't forget you can get a lot of help from your doctor or NHS to pay for nicorettes etc.  Restricting myself to cigars and rollies helped me finally stop they stink!!

I gave up last November, so it's been 13 months now, and I can tell you, hand on heart, I NEVER miss it at all now. (I am 43 and smoked 40 plus a day all of my adult life)

What I did, was :

a) Read Alan Carr's Easy way to stop smoking: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551

I CANNOT OVERSTATE HOW IMPORTANT THE ABOVE IS. ok? :-)  - When you read the book it teaches you how the addiction works, and how it fools you into thinking smoking is nice. Until you truly understand this you will always think you are "missing out" and "it's not fair" etc etc. Once you understand addiction you will find stopping smoking actually very easy. The key is staying stopped, and the book makes it a non issue.

b) I did patches on the NHS for three months (along with mints for the 1st week). Partly because I was a bear with a sore head going cold turkey, and partly because it gave my stopping-smoking a "structure". You have to go to the doc's every two weeks and have a breath test, a chat, and then they give you your next prescriptions. There are lots of other quitters there - it feels a bit like AA must feel. That's a good thing - gave me a goal to achieve.

c) Don't go to the pub for the 1st couple of weeks. Why make your life hard? After a while you'll hate breathing in someone else's smoke, trust me. I still like the smell though, most of my memories are attached to the smell of smoke.

d: Give up weed - don't kid yourself you can do one without the other.

Of all the people I know that quit and then failed, NONE of them read the book. I think partly because they didn't really want to stop. I had a chest pain that scared the **** out of me - thought I had cancer (I didn't), so I stopped. The moment you think you might have killed yourself you feel like a total fool smoking.

Notice that I refer to it as stopping and not giving up? That's because giving up suggests that you are "giving something up" - you ain't - you are removing something unpleasant from your life. Non smokers don't envy smokers do they? :-p

Stick with it! You'll be really glad you did. 

I now don't have to plan my life around always having fags on me, being at bars and restaurants that have smoking areas, standing out in the cold.

Do it now while it's still cold - don't wait for spring .

p.s. They way it went for me

Month 1 - 3 fine as I had patches.

Month 4 - 6 fine but weird as you always notice the times and places that you "would" have had a smoke in the past.

Month 7 - 12 - the occasional , "oh! that would have been a smoking moment" - don't want one mind you.

Month 13 onwards - never think about it now. :-)

PistonBroke: I had a great friend, smoked 40 a day, with extra filters on a ciggie holder, to remove the tar. Lovely guy. Really healthy. Big walker. Got cancer of the lung last year. 2 months ago he coughed up part of a lung and choked to death on it. His wife found him at the bottom of the stairs - he was trying to come down to get help and passed out.. 65 years old.

I stopped about 10 years ago. At one time I was smoking 60 Disque Bleu a day.

I decided one Christmas I wanted to stop. I asked HM if she would stop and she said NO. So I waited. I spent a year slowing down and convincing myself it was horrible with smoke in my eyes, hair and clothes. Next New Years eve I lit up a cigarette at 10 to midnight. When I'd finished I stood up, slowly walked to the dresser and put the packet and lighter in a drawer and announced that was the last cigarette I'd smoke.

I still get the fleeting desire. But I haven't had a cigarette since that moment.

Oh, by the way, when HM was ill she was almost forced to stop. I got her patches and she stopped. That was about 3 years ago.

• Like 1

I stopped in 1997, was on 20 a day at the time.

Saw my mate in hopsital, who had had a stroke, and smoking got the blame/was the cause.

I will never forget the shape of his face with one eye about 2 inches lower than the other one, and his dangler hanging out with a cafeter (spelling?) in it.

I walked out of the hospital, screwed my packet of B&H up and chucked them in the bin. No patches, gum, ecigs or anything.

I have smoked the odd cigar since then, and could quite easily smoke on a night out and not smoke afterwards, but I dont.

That image from the hospital haunts me. He died 2 years later at 29 years old.

It is all in the mind, if you want to stop, you will

MASSIVE congratulations to all you who have given up.

I take my hat off to you all !            Well done.

Thanks Graham every positive helps. I always think of the smoking area if I get an urge to light up

One of those weird people who never smoked, never wanted to, never saw the attraction.

Don't get me wrong, there was peer pressure and I tried to start.  I tried starting gradually...I tried starting suddenly...I even tried hot turkey.  Nothing.

So I stuck to drinking.

In moderation.

Thought I better add that.

I'm not likely to give up drinking unless they come up with electronic bitter, red wine and whisky, but does anyone know of any good deals going on the e things?

• Like 1

keep at it echoz....  i gave up ten years ago when my insurers stopped paying for fire damage to my cigar collection.........

any pictures of old cigar collection  :blues: