Speed Series School

CJspeedsport

I've decided I'm going to spend another year getting used to the car before I push it to my limits on the Speed Series. I've got some trackdays and driver tution booked in for the first half of the year and with my non-race licence, plan to make use of a few test days at "local" tracks.

I've seen mention of a Speed Series School and wondered if this was a formal or informal affair and if I could book a place on it now?!

Any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi chris, I was where you are now a year ago. Sprint school is excellent... My advice would be to go for it this year if you can.... You never know what is round the corner.

I'm a newbie PM me if you want a chat matye

Give it a go NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will learn very quickly and there is lots of advice around to help you

Yep, absolutley nothing to stop you having a go now, so what if you aren't the fastest driver out there, we all have to start somewhere. Don;t hold back.

I only started sprinting last year a few times

Because its cheaper than track days?????

And your out by yourself against the clock so no worries about being bumped

What's the worst thing that could happen? You enjoy yourself :)

Throw yourself in at the deep end.. best way to learn anything ;)

• Like 1

i havent attended the sprint school and am just going to give it a whirl. i have done a few track days though which can get boring after a while

I am really tempted, but I don't really know the car that well given that I've only done a couple of track days and prior to owning this had only ever driven front wheel drive diesels!!!!

Also holding me back is that I want to make the most of what will be a fair bit of effort getting to the different venues, and if I only end up getting to do three laps for the whole day and I spin off on two of them, I will be disapointed! I feel if I spend a bit longer getting the feel of the limits of the car, I'll enjoy the competition more. I think Castle Combe is one of the earlier events and thats only just over an hour away. I think I'll pop along and see what its all about!

• Like 1

The sprint school in June is very useful but some of the leading hill climbs and sprint circuits also run (usually chargeable) learning sessions which might be a quicker way to increase your confidence earlier so you can get out this year.

Don't worry about going too slow (I do need someone to take that title away from me) what you need is help from the SS guy's to advise you what to do to yourself or the car when something happens that you are not sure about. You will only get that help by being part of it when these things happen and you can talk about it almost in real time.

I hope this helps

Graham 

and with my non-race licence, plan to make use of a few test days at "local" tracks
it's worth checking with your local circuit, but all the test days I've been invited to have required a race licence.

CJ

I see you are located Cardiff.

My advice would be to do the Llandow event as an easy first one.

There are track days held there also so yo can easily learn the circuit and it is a fairly safe venue with run off etc.

If you like that you could do Pembrey and Anglesey.

Chris,

I echo everything that has been said above.

I got my Westfield in June 2008 having never been on a track before, was a bit of a spontaneous purchase. Went on a Motor Sports Event training day on an airfield and did a couple of trackdays in 2008.

I entered the 2009 WSCC Speed Series thinking I would do a few events to see if I liked it, I knew I wouldn't be fast and I wasn't particularly but you have to start somewhere. First event at Gurston Down in April and I was hooked, a few low cost mods to my car and then Loton Park and I was even more hooked! A few more low costs mod, plus loads of help, guidance and encouragement from more experienced SS guys. I went on to win my class and the overall novice trophy in my first year. I was approx 10% slower than experienced competitors in similar spec'd cars.

Four years on and I still love it; can't wait for the season to get started and my first event. I am going quicker but still learning. The support from everyone is there, the banter is intoxicating.

Fun factor is well above any trackday.

Just register and do it, you won't regret it.

Throw yourself in at the deep end.. best way to learn anything ;)

.. apart from bomb disposal.....

- do it! I've done 2 track days and that's it, and I'm having a go. Llandow is a great track to break your cherry and find out how much grip your car has, and how to handle high speed drifts - All the corners but one are very forgiving.

Ah go on then! Chances are I'll only make it to Pembry and Llandow this year, but it will be good to see what its all about!