Anyone got any spare change... A bargain.....

Norman Verona

Isn't that the one where you have to split the engine and gearbox and move the engine forward to get at the last spark plug?  Not quite the bargain it first might appear ;)  ;)

Rory's Dad

If you've got 3 million quid for a car then I don't think you'd worry about your mechanic spending a day changing the plugs.

Bugatti is my dream car. The whole philosophy  makes me so emotional.

If I ever won 4 million on the lottery I'd buy a 35B (was just under a million a year ago)

I seem to recall that it has no separate cylinder head so the only access to grind the valves is up from the bottom having dropped the crankshaft. Bonus for Caterham owners: no HGF problems!

5 previous owners no mudgaurds what sort of bargain is that :oops:

bet it doesnt have any cup holders either :)

• Like 1

Yes, but that wont double in value over the next 10 years.

Clive, I'm not sure about the head, The last one I looked at (not this model, but the same engine in the 57) had a separate head.

I can see it now...

Millionth Gite booking will win....

French Racing Blue - perfect.

Norman, I was told this gem by a chemist with whom I worked in the sixties. A quick Google turns up this:

The engine that lay under the bonnet was similar to the units found in the Type 30 and 32 but greatly improved. The engine had an intricate five-main bearing crankshaft with roller main and connecting rod bearings. There were two four-cylinder blocks and integral cylinder heads that were enclosed in a split aluminum crankcase. There was one exhaust valve and two intake valves that were actuated by the overhead camshaft through finger followers. With the aid of two Zenith carburetors, the naturally aspirated engine produced 90 horsepower. The use of lightweight construction used throughout the engine and body married with excellent weight distribution and a potent engine made the Type 35 an excellent and superior racer for its time.

I'll see if I can do some research. The single exhaust valve doesn't sound right. Bugatti had a theory that it was more difficult to get burnt gas out than unburnt gas in and therefore built engines with 2 exhaust and one inlet valve.

I'll see if I can find my Bugatti book and if it gives details.

Found it.

The spec for the Type 54 is:

Monobloc, twin overhead camshafts, plain bearings.

8 cylinders

bore x stroke: 86 x 107

4972 cc

1 exhaust, 1 inlet valve per cylinder

1 spark plug per cylinder

Supercharged

2 Zenith or Solex carbs

250 bhp (approx)

So, yes a non detachable cylinder head but only 2 valves per cylinder and, it would seem plain crank bearings.

I've worked on monobloc engines and know what being a gynecologist feels like.

The other "complaint" about the rear spark plug is wrong. Look at the picture and it's as easy to get to number 8 as number 1. However, this myth maybe because the distributor is in the cab.