PQR 15

ALANBEAL

Hi

I am going to touch up some damaged areas of the powder coating on my chassis there is no rust Will it stick to the powder coating,has any one got any of the small tins they want to sell

Alan

Does it always need to be done in 3 parts? Only it's makes it such a long job otherwise...

I hope you're not asking if you can skip the cleaning stage?  ;)  :laugh: 

Any paint needs the area you're going to paint cleaning up and degreasing!

As for the metal ready primer. It's not absolutely vital, but it's dead easy to do and will help the repair last much, much, longer, why wouldn't you do it? (In reality, it's not that different to applying a coat of regular etch primer before attacking an area with a rattle can or a tin of Hammerite, and POR 15 is much better than either)

don't forget that POR 15 isn't UV stable either, so if you're doing an area that will be directly exposed to sunlight (should we actually get some!) you also really need to give it a top coat.

I have to say, I hadn't used their Marine Clean till recently, it's really very good, but don't forget to dilute it and wear gloves, it might not be as bad as POR 15, but it's still a devil to get off your hands.

Be aware also that the chassis coat black that comes with the starter kit has quite a glossy (though very tough) finish.

The top coat that Gadgetman referred to is also needed if you want a more satin-like finish (It is a good finish, though and very close to the powder coat look),

Haven't tried their own top coats, so that's useful to know Mark, thanks. I tend to just use a standard satin black over the top from Halfords etc if I want a match for chassis powdercoat.

• Like 1