Isn't it about time,

Norman Verona

now that we're members only (almost), that users were made to put a location in their profile.

How many posts are followed by "where are you" questions.

I would also say that if you start a thread on tech talk you must fill in car details.

Only day dreaming, excuse me.

Maybe the location and car details should only be visible to members.

• Like 1

Does make sense to atleast put your county, see so many times people go COH! ive lived here for 5 years and never knew the guy 2 streets down also has a westy! :)

Norman , If you put users locations up in big flashing lights people would still ask , its the nature of the beast :t-up:

Data.

Protection.

Act.

That is all. ;)

Ask anyone in the Loire valley where the crazy old fart with damaged digits lives and they will know where to direct you.....

Bernie, it tells those that know were the Loire Valley is that I'm not just south of Wigan. I assume you're somewhere around Manchester.

County would do. If everyone had a valid location members would soon learn to look.

We had it for years and it made little difference.

(as evidenced by the fact that few know/realise we had it for years!)

Bernie, it tells those that know were the Loire Valley is that I'm not just south of Wigan. I assume you're somewhere around Manchester.

County would do. If everyone had a valid location members would soon learn to look.

Nearer to Wigan ,  actually border 3 counties , If you want to call Greater Manchester & Mersyside counties that is , afaic I still live in goood old Lancashire

Gadgers, I know. It's about time MemSec stopped doing things that members can do for themselves. Surely it can't be that difficult to search through your details to fine email addies, addresses etc.

I haven't looked but there must be a guide somewhere.

Its a bit like at Stoneleigh when we all walk around mere inches from some people we would probably like to engage with but in blissful ignorance apart from maybe a collectible T shirt who are we MI5 agents. I know we all like to protect our details but knowing where someone lives in a population of 15million ain't going to hurt. Not as if we are the only gays in the village.

Bob :d

• Like 1

Data.

Protection.

Act.

That is all. ;)

Don't mean any offence to challenge you and no expert on the DPA, but I don't think this comes under the true definition of data protection.

The DPA is often misinterpreted, misquoted and/or misunderstood. AFAIK, it's there predominantly to protect persons from the misuse and giving out of personal information without consent.

We could always provide an opt out feature during registration..? I'd agree that the location should only show the county.

I do know about the DPA as I had to attend a course on it when I was running the Police Shows.

The club can give anyone members details as long as it has taken steps to ensure that data is safe and will not be published.

A chairman of another club refused to give me the members email addresses when I was trying to get a weekly newsletter going. He cited the DPA which he claimed to be an expert.

When I asked why the club, therefore, broke the act every month by sending the OA's their new members details (address, phone and email) along with those members that hadn't renewed there was a very long silence.

I suppose the answer is that we should ignore techie enquirers who haven't got the cars details shown and people asking for info which relies on knowing where they are when there's no location shown.