Engine spluttered trying to accelerate....

WayneF35

Hi All

We swapped out a fuel pump on a colleagues 1600 x-flow SE with a Facet Red Top one and now everytime he tries to accelerate passed over cars his engines splutters badly.

He has a twin choke webber on the engine?

Does anyone have any ideas on why this would be happening or where in the Sutton / Carshalton area there might be someone we could take the car to?

Thanks

Why did you change the fuel pump? And, what was the original pump?

It could be a red herring but the evidence points to insufficient fuel if it's started doing this since changing the pump.

You may actually have too much pressure , people usually run a regulator after the pump when using these .

You may have picked up dirt in the swap affecting the carb

Meant to ask that this morning, have you got a pressure regulator on the system, and do you know if your fuel pressure has changed?

Why did you change the fuel pump? And, what was the original pump?

It could be a red herring but the evidence points to insufficient fuel if it's started doing this since changing the pump.

It was a mechanical pump and it failed so he purchased an electric one.

Meant to ask that this morning, have you got a pressure regulator on the system, and do you know if your fuel pressure has changed?

Hi - There is no regulator on the system. The mechanical one failed so we installed this one. Do you recommend getting one for the car then?

Thanks

Most definitely. As a matter of some urgency too. If the Red Top is delivering  lots more fuel at higher pressure than the previous pump, apart from running issues, it has been known for them to overwhelm the float chambers to the extent of leaking fuel out of the carbs.

While dripping fuel out is thankfully a pretty rare side effect it's obviously something with potentially nasty consequences should he be really, really, unlucky.

I agree with Gadgetman. However over fueling probably wont make the engine "splutter" to the extent you describe.

I have been told that Facet pumps can be faulty. I would remove the flexi pipe going to the carbs and stick it in a 1 litre can and switch on. Time how long it takes to fill and then check the flow rate as stated on Facets web site.

Ed to add that I can't find a Facet web site but on Moss motors site it quotes the 377-420 Facet Fuel Pump (Solid State) as 25 gallons per hour. That converts to 113 litres which would be about 1.8 litres per minute. If you fill your 1 litre bottle in about 30 seconds that will be close enough.

Most definitely. As a matter of some urgency too. If the Red Top is delivering  lots more fuel at higher pressure than the previous pump, apart from running issues, it has been known for them to overwhelm the float chambers to the extent of leaking fuel out of the carbs.

While dripping fuel out is thankfully a pretty rare side effect it's obviously something with potentially nasty consequences should he be really, really, unlucky.

Ignore this at your peril. I had a brand new Cossie block wrecked in less than 500 miles because I cocked up with a red top fuel pump. One of the symptoms I suffered with was the damn thing not picking up cleanly out of corners and when overtaking. Fixing the fuel pressure fixed most of it. Getting the block honed and some new rings around the pistons fixed the rest!

Weber twin chokes need to run with a regulated fuel pressure of around 2.5 psi, maximum 3.  The red top unregulated will give 5-6 psi.  IMHO there's little point bothering with anything else until you fix this.  You'll need a low pressure regulator in the supply to the carb and you'll also need access to a low pressure gauge to calibrate it.  I'd go for 2.5 psi.

Totally agree with Fatbaldbloke 

I have one of them. Set to 3 psi. Just to say, to avoid confusion, the gauge is removed once the pressure is set and replaced with a blanking plug. 

Some cars leave the gauge still in place