CCTV IP address - waaay off topic geek help needed

Hammy

Long shot but here goes.

I have been given a CCTV HD recorder for which I can't find any instructions. On the back it has a LAN connection, which when connected initially flashes the lights next to it as if sorting out an IP

I have scanned all ips 192.168.*.* using an advanced ip scanner but cannot find it , any ideas ??? ( this has included scanning ranges outside of my router - is that valid ?).

:(

H

Is there anything on the net about being able reset it to default settings?

I've done a few different type and some don't have a IP from the start, and dont use DHCP

they have there own tools to scan for the MAC address and do the rest of the work for you

for example tools like this http://www.axis.com/techsup/software/iputility/index.htm

Or need you reset them with switched inside the unit

http://support.y-cam.com/index.php?action=kb&article=310

Hmmm it has no name or number written on the outside ( not opened it up) and no clues in the menus.

So I might not "see it" on the network anyhow ?

connect a laptop to it with a cross over cable or ethernet hub (not switch) and run wireshark. See if you can see any packets comming from it. At least if you get a mac address you can look up the first 6 digits and determine a vendor.

Flashing lights just mean data is moving. It doesn't mean an IP address is being found. ARP's will be flowing too, as acould any number of other things.

I'd go to your router web interface and search for attached devices. Most routers allow you to be able to see what's attached to them, and if an IP address has been allocated that should be there too.