Struggling for work

Tyson

I called the electricians on Thursday 13th & Friday 14th December, I wouldn't of thought they would be on there Christmas Holiday that early and at least i should of had a call back, even if it was to say they are to busy to do the work.

I am a floor and wall tiler and have had the Christmas period on Holiday, but i still answer my phone to potential customers and keep people infomed, nothing worse than a lack of communication.

Being a practical man, I would of thought you could do these jobs yourself.

Being a practical man, I would of thought you could do these jobs yourself.

Yes i was going to do it myself with the help of my step son but he now has a job working in London, i may well tackle it. Was a time thing really, going to take me longer than a few blokes would take. I do fancy having a play in a mini digger though, :d  what could possible go wrong :(  

Ask Norman.

Any tips for using a mini digger???????

They're easy after a bit of practice. I hired one for a week when I did my house and garage, it took me a coupe of hours to get the hang of the controls but after that it was all pretty simple.

Me, what did i do.

problem here is you don't seem to be able to hire a mini digger for self use, they all want to charge for a driver as well.

I got a drinking buddy who has a civil construction company to send one of his chaps round in a big JCB.

jcb01.jpg

Spend a day at "Diggerland", you'll soon get the hang of it. All the JCB joy stick controls are the same on whatever size digger you hire. If you can't handle it my 6 year old grandson is pretty good.

was quoted 3.4k the other day to build me a free standing wooden room 3.5 wide 7m long 2.5m high  said nearly two weeks work for two lads what the devil

And how much do you charge an hour !!!!  :angry:

This time last year we decided to have our outdoor pool filled in with extended patio to some 80 sq/mtrs, I contacted bricklayers and groundworker, lots of interest lots of visits to quote. 2 major problems, 50% never quoted as they could not use a dump truck and digger, those that did quote found it impossible to caculate the crushed concrete required for a kidney shape pool even though I told them it contained 9500 gallons. Infill quantity varied by 200% and so did the quotes which could not have been the infill as crushed concrete in a 30 ton load is only £230. By Easter I almost gave up but tried again this time with Rated people and a several garden designers quoted, the guy that did the job was a garden designer lived 5 miles away and I knew his Father, I had worked out the tonnage of material required and was begining to think I had got it wrong but we were very close. He and his team barrowed 90 tons of materials around the house did a brilliant job in August the driest period last year.

The moral of this story is to allow several months to find out those actually capable of doing your job and price will not alway produce the best workmanship.

PS

Anyone thinking of a pool this summer I have all the ( very expensive)  equipment you will require for daft money.  

• Like 1

Locksmithing follows building and house moves and its dead

Advertising costs and option gone up fuel costs gone up

Back to my old job and swapping engine on westy so not worth locksmithing till the economy improves then ill start again

I need a bathroom fitter type person - can't get a reply, probably end up doing it myself !

I run a heating company, we don't close down over Christmas . My guys are all working seven days a week at the moment. We are replacing boilers that we advised customers to do in the summer but they all wait until December and then panic.We should only be doing breakdowns in nursing homes and churches at this time of year but heating is low priority, a flash car your neighbours can see , a decent boiler they cant.

We don't get involved in the rating websites because the priority is cost, guy with a 6 month course and a basic gas qualification or an experienced guy with with 10 or 12 qualifications on his card,who's cheapest? who's best?

Gas Safe register only ask the public to check if an engineer has a card , I've never known anyone check the back of the card to see what qualifications the engineer has, i.e, space heaters, cookers , and boilers are all different, add in pipe work testing, commercial qualification and LPG etc.

Perm any 2 from 3, cheap , competent and available.

Same in the computer industry. We had a few customers who were advised to replace their servers. YI don't need to continue, you know what happened to those that didn't.