Struggling for work

Tyson

I thought a lot of people in the building trade were struggling for work at the moment? 

A few weeks back i decided to have my garage electrics sorted...New plug sockets, strip lights, switches, consumer unit and power for the patio area. Called FOUR local electricians, none of them answered there phone or called me back, so i sent my details of work to Rated People. They give three tradesmen the opportunity to quote fot the work but i only had one reply,so he completed the job just after Boxing day and did a good job.

I am now looking to have a new drive laid 25mt x 4.5mt and another area 11mt x 6mt, not a small job so you would think somebody would like to have a look and quote me for it.

Called TWO companies, no answer and didnt call back ???? Sent my details to Rated People and was told a company will contact me.....still haven't heard a thing so yesterday i renewed my details on RP and as yet i have still not been contacted. At this rate i will be doing it myself, which i didn't really want to do.

Watch this space ;)  

I'm sure there's a pikey that could sort your drive out and of a fraction of the price  :laugh:

was quoted 3.4k the other day to build me a free standing wooden room 3.5 wide 7m long 2.5m high  said nearly two weeks work for two lads what the devil

Isn't that the problem, the good ones are so busy they don't bother answering inquiries because they are booked so far ahead. Still, it would be nice if they gave you a quick ring to explain.

The really weird thing about this recession is the relatively low number of people claiming job seekers allowance. In the Thatcher era there were over 3 million out of work. Now there's far more people employed but we are still about 2.5 million out of work. It never goes below a million.

I had the same thing recently with some fencing work I needed doing.  None of the companies I called got back to me and I eventually found a one man band who advertised in the local paper.  He did an excellent job at a very reasonable price.

Even if they are too busy to take on the job - a call back to say so wouldn't come amiss.

Must type quicker :no:

Most of the building trade (like myself) have been on holiday since the 21st of december and don't go back till tomorrow, so maybe most of the offices have also been closed, try again tomorrow might get a better responce.

Quote I don't do emails or texts and ringing people back is a pain. So obviously gaining work is not necessary for the struggling builder. The logic escapes me, yes some people pester for not just a quote but a design and suggestions Q/A session but if you don't deal with the punters they will go somewhere else and you end on the out of work pile.

Odd isn't it

Bob :(

Yep, we follow building trade patterns and tomorrow is our first day back too.

• Like 1

Is that by choice or due to a lack of work. Seems ok if its by choice.

Bob

Booked solid, turning down anything big for this side of March.

By choice, most building companies shut down for 2 weeks, which makes sense at this time of year when lots of the work is weather dependant.

Last time I tried to get a Plumber out to look at something he was hopeless at getting back to me. I still want the work doing but will go elsewhere. If only everyone was a good as our very own Chris aka Swindoncarpentry!

Yep I know, my lad is a builder and has been pestered all through the Christmas weekend to sort out a minor issue which in reality isn't a priority except for the client who has decided after 12 months and numerous changes to the job that he wants it doing now. The customer is always right - another myth I'm afraid.

Bob :(

As mentioned above, a lot of the local trades and sites haven't started back after he Christmas Break. Our office was open over Christmas and for the 3 days following the new year but it's been pretty quiet so far. the only calls out I've had this year are from the DIYers, home owners or Builders who are working on their own houses.

Colchester Borough and Babergh District weren't hit to quite the same extent as other areas during the recession, we maybe saw a 10-20% dip during the worst period, but have largely recovered from that now. Recent published statistics showed Colchester to be Britain's 4th fastest growing town, with a population growth last year of 4000 compared to an increase in new housing of 650 dwellings. There's still plenty more to come in the future too, together with the significant redevelopment of the top end of the High Street.

I guess what I'm saying is don't believe everything you hear in the media. Whist it's true that some parts of the county hae been hit quite badly and may still be struggling, It's no necessarily a national trend. Unfortunately for you, or fortunately if you're a tradesman where you live is one of the more busy parts of the country.

Roughly two to three weeks before Christmas we tend to find we start getting all the calls from people we've been reminding to get things done before its two late for months previously. We keep a few "floating days" free for emergencies etc, so some of these last minute bits and pieces we try and accommodate but most we have to disappoint.

I take two weeks off at Christmas, that's all I take, I don't do a summer Holliday, just Christmas. The rest of the year customers know that if they email me anytime up to midnight they'll usually get an answer. (And many expect that now).