cracking/crazing of the paint

jacko9370

My next question, which i have searched the forum for an answer to but I cant seem to find an answer

Only having the car a few weeks I have suddenyl noticed a few areas where the paint or gel coat is cracked/crazing, these are middle of the bonnet area where it joins the nose cone, cracked on both nose cone and bonnet (directly over the cam belt cover), right front cycle wing near screw and on the bonnet near where right hand lock is.

I cant say I noticed these when I first got the car so I am guessing they are newly appearing, is this a common thing? how can I prevent it and how can I fix it.

My next question, which i have searched the forum for an answer to but I cant seem to find an answer

Only having the car a few weeks I have suddenyl noticed a few areas where the paint or gel coat is cracked/crazing, these are middle of the bonnet area where it joins the nose cone, cracked on both nose cone and bonnet (directly over the cam belt cover), right front cycle wing near screw and on the bonnet near where right hand lock is.

I cant say I noticed these when I first got the car so I am guessing they are newly appearing, is this a common thing? how can I prevent it and how can I fix it.

There isn't a lot of space between the cam cover and the bonnet/nosecone area on a Pinto engined car. Sounds like it is touching and the vibration will craze the gel coat. Might only happen on the move with air pressure on the bonnet. The engine on my car has no cam cover, or you could modify yours to be open at the top. I've seen people remove fibreglass from the nose cone where the bonnet overlaps over the cam sprocket too.

My car also has crazing around the cycle wing screws. People here often epoxy their cycle wings to the wing stays, or glue them. Not done this myself. A search will show you methods. It removes the stress concentration you get around the bolt hole.

Jen

• Like 1

It's common, the body panels flex, you can't really prevent it.  You just have to decide whether the car's for showing or driving.  If it's the former be ready to fill gel coat cracks or touch up paintwork every year, if it's the latter just enjoy it and don't worry.

• Like 1

Its a fun car, I just want it to look pretty at the same time

I totally understand where you're coming from.  My bonnet was seriously crazed for many years, and of course in your own mind, it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb.  The previous advice is the best IMO - just enjoy it and the big stupid grin on your own face for the first year or two, and the admiring looks from others as you blat by. :)