Smiths Gauges

jacko9370

Well my first proper question;

The car has Smiths gauges and the Tacho's light is working, does on all the rest.

A brief and painfull look under the dash and I couldnt see where a bulb would be fitted to make the job easy.

I removed the gauge mounting bracket with the idea of removing the gauge from the dash.

Its such a tight fit that I decided to leave it there until I asked someone who might know whether the bulb is an insitu repair or if gauge has to come out or if they may know of another solution.

Many thanks

Rob

should just turn out of the metal holder which is the -ve bit i think.... depends on the fittings as every one is different - can you get a pic (with a bit of contortionism)  :d

should just turn out of the metal holder which is the -ve bit i think.... depends on the fittings as every one is different - can you get a pic (with a bit of contortionism)  :d

Just got myself all uncontorted and up to computer.

back of the gauge just has plug in wire loom with 4? wires in to it at the bottom and a black ferul blanking disk at the top, will try get back in and take pics.

Seats have been out the car for last few days so obviously i didnt think of doing this job until they were re fitted to make it a little bit harder

Rob, is the Tacho one of the ProSport range?

I have one fitted to mine and if you're really stuck I could get the dash out (mine's a Caterham and has a removable dash panel) and have a look. I seem to remember it's a built in LED but can't be sure. Normal colour wire for a dash bulb is red with a white trace. However, that probably means nothing according to all the threads that say the wiring colours are non-standard.

Let me know.

ed to add a link to the Pro Sport range HERE

Red with an Orange trace is the normal switch/gauge illumination feed wiring colour on WF's later looms at least. Might be worth checking you've 12 Volt at the connector if thats easier than getting the gauge out first.

I never got around to looking today, I decided that for a change I would drive the car.

WIll have a lok during the week.

thanks for help

Have managed to get some pics, hopefully these might be helpful.

IMG_1738_zpsea37a047.jpg

IMG_1737_zpscc17cce3.jpg

IMG_1734_zps3a5c4e6b.jpg

I would guess that the red/white is the internal light and it's an LED.

I would pull the connector off and use a voltmeter to see if you have 12 v at the contact of the red/white. Remember to switch the lights on.

If you have I think you can send it back to caerbont in Wales for repair.

ed to add that maybe you should pull the rubber grommet off to see if there's a replaceable bulb inside 

• Like 1

Just done a check now, as you do at 1 in the morning.

I am getting current to the red/white wire.

I will email caerbont to see what they say, although they are advertised from what i can see as led's in which case they wont be changeable as they are not supposed to blow.

I had a problem with my ProSport tacho. The needle started fluctuating widely.

I contacted them by phone and described the problem. They informed me it needed a mod so to send it back. I wrapped it and posted it on a Wednesday morning.

Came back on the Saturday fixed and has never had a problem since. All FOC even though the unit was well over a year old. 

I got a reply back from Gavin at caerbont earlier, which was a nice suprise it being a Sunday.

He explained its just a normal bulb and how to change it, behind the black gromet.

Now just got to take the gauge out the dash and I will be all happy again