Newbie Speed Series Questions

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Dodgey,

You are right it is a good thing to know the traction limits of your car but they will vary massively depending upon temperature, weather, track surface, car setup etc etc.

Different tyres behave differently; generally standard road going tyres (list 1A) are more progressive and give plenty of feedback before letting go. The more sticky the tyre (list 1B) then generally less progressive and can let go in a split second from max traction to very little. So loads of practice and time in your car on and beyond the limit is the only way to find out how your car/tyre combination behave.

As Tel says do it on an airfield - not much to hit when you spin and normally loads of room to run off the black stuff and plenty of green stuff to recover on.

Also don't be fooled into learning traction levels with your tyres nicely warmed up on a trackday; at a sprint or hillclimb you start on cold tyres. If it is two laps then the feel and traction will be totally different between the two laps. Learning this is all part of the fun and challenges of the speed series.

Open pit lane trackdays are best so you can let your tyres cool down between runs and then only do 3 or 4 laps at a time.

Stu,  That would be much appreciated mate - from a winner like youreslf that would be really great...  Cheers< James 

When I got my Westie last year I was sliding it round roundabouts and exiting on opposite lock within hours  - it's delightfully easy. I assume because you are sat so near the rear axle., and the car is so light - so you don't have a pendulum effect to deal with.

I am a long way off that! I'm not a natural at this game...I have found I really do struggle with the pendulm effect. On last corner at Llandow I gave it a bit too much right foot and the back broke away, (going at a reasonable pace) put some opposite lock on and then started the process of snaking out of control every which way via the grass, back on to the track backwards!! The same thing happened coming out of the bus stop at Llandow. Again, my correction just sent me weaving all over the place. Both happened in the wet, but what ever I did, I was doing it completely wrong. I woud have to be nuts to try it on a round about!!

Hehe - I've not tried sliding mine in the wet - it's no wonder you had difficulties! - especially if the track is not evenly wet - that's a huge ask to control a slide in that! I drive mine like Miss Daisy is sitting next to me when it's wet.

Some fun vids:

In the one below at 58 seconds you can see it get messy at what I assume is the bus stop but it's easy to correct, then at 2:05 you can see someone with the pendulum effect :----)

Then in the next one below it gets messy again at 1:00 but I was doing it on purpose, then at 1:24 it lets go under power on the next bend, but I just power through it - and then seconds later you can hear my diff let go :-( lol  - but it shows it's easy enough to control. The rest of the vid I keep backing off to listen to the noise. That was my last outing that day :-(

That was my 1st ever track day.

Your going to enjoy the Speed Series  :d  :d  :d

• 3 weeks later...

Hi seatbelts?

Mine are in good condition but dated 1997, will I have any problems with these and do they need split pinning or wire locking?

Been searching around and cant find an answer :(

Seatbelts don't need to be in date for Sprints and Hillclimbs. You will need split pins on the clip on parts of the harnesses, normally found on the shoulder straps which clip onto the eyelet bolts. Lockwire would also be sufficient, but if you're struggling with split pins drop me a PM.

Hope that helps

Thanks that's a great help :)

Ill get my drill out and split pin tonight when I get home

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

am i best off having bonnet latches rather than locks?

I dont like bonnet locks as if you have an engine fire or other issue you cant get bonnet off quickly so I use overcentre catches

I had bonnet locks for a number of years until, at Loton, I arrived and found I'd left my keys at home. With the scrutineer on his way round, I was frantically butchering the locks off to remove the bonnet for inspection, and scrounging around the paddock for an ignition barrel and key, and a killswitch key.  Tom Caldecourt and Barry Slingsby saved that day. Thanks guys  :yes:

I now just use overcentre catches and keep a spare set of keys in the boot of my tow car!  ;)

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what to do with the lock hole. How about a grommet or a well placed sticker?

Now where us my wallet

Cover hole with a sticker

Silencing ????

I've tested my silencer on an app on my phone at 99dba

The went for a rolling road and had it checked after at 103dba

Looking at the MSA book I need to be under 105dba

This is looking a bit close to mine bareing in mind neither of our testers were recently calibrated

My silencer is a welded Westfield one so can't see any way of repacking if needed

Is there any thing I can do to reduce the noise if it fails?

Turn tail pipe under car?

Take something with my to stuff up the pipe?