Newbie Speed Series Questions

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

hey folks, i'm lost with all this tyre business.....  I have AO48's on 13" wheels on my road legal cross flow with screen..... can I run with these this year????  All advice much appreciated  James

Read the beginners guide and this years regs a bit more and all will be revealed as far as WSCC speed series

As mentioned elsewhere you class on the day wwill be different anyway but that will not affect your speed series points

Nick Algar will help if you are still in doubt or pm me

James

Your tyres are from list 1b in the blue book.

These are now suitable for roadgoing Kit car classes at every event ( as are 888, ZZR, Khumo V70 etc)

You also have a screen so this wont affect your class either ( some events insist on a screen for roadgoing)

Stu

Yeah - the WSCC classes seem rather simple this year. I've got 888's now, and a normal screen (whihc makes no odds now). Last year my 888's would have bumped me up a class I believe , but as it stands, I'm in a road going newbie class.

same as me Dodgey..... see you in the paddock mate.... :)   I cant wait to see how my little car goes......

Should be a giggle :-)

I'm very lucky in that the last track action I had was at Castle Combe so I am familiar with it. Saying that, I have not driven my car on the 888's yet so I need to get out and have a play to find the limits and what they are like to slide - I know my original tyres well, but not these 888's....

Knowing Castle Combe a little, I CERTAINLY won't be the fastest in my class :-)  - there are two bends that I know you can go round flat out (entry (maybe..) and exit (Deffo!)  of the start - finish straight) - but I'm too chicken to do it! :-p

Remember sideways is good for spectators and photos but its not quick

Remember sideways is good for spectators and photos but its not quick

I'm pleased to hear that! The only times I've ever been sideways (three in total), I've also been backwards for a bit, before sideways for a bit more and then stopped!!

I'd love to learn how to control the car in a skid/drift type situation, is that something rack instructors every teach or is it strictly off syllabus?!

I know that Caterham do drift days and tuition but it is in cars that are set up to do that. They jack up the rear and harden suspension and fit worn out none grippy tyres whilst front is made soft and grippy. Its quite good to learn how to feel what the car is doing under you and learn how to use throttle to steer etc

When  sprinting a well set up car even on slicks you can sometimes use a power slide (a bit like 4 wheel drift) if conditions are right. 

I know sliding is not fastest way but I like to know how my car slides, so that if and when it does, I have a handle on it.

Now I've fitted 888's I want to know what changes have happened in this respect. I don't want to go out, lose the back, and power through/correct it like I do/did on my previous tyres only to find it's totally different ! :-)

CJ - they tend to discourage "drifting" on track days, but as some, like LLandow, it's a job to get through the start / finish chicane at speed without sliding about :-)

The Westfield is supremely easy to slide about - well mine is, with it's live axle. My previous cars that drifted were a TVR that was a bl**** handful  and would spit you into a hedge if you made the tiniest mistake, and a Porsche with 4WD which didn't slide unless you were going at speeds I don't want to slide at!!

When I got my Westie last year I was sliding it round roundabouts and exiting on opposite lock within hours  - it's delightfully easy. I assume because you are sat so near the rear axle., and the car is so light - so you don't have a pendulum effect to deal with.

I can't think of an easier car to learn on.

My advice is to go to an empty car park or similar and just try! - As a bonus - the car is so light it seems to make little odds to the tyres either! 

Dodgey, James and other newbies

I hope to be at the Castle Coombe event, but I won't be driving my car

So , I could spend some time helping you all on the day with procedure and tips ,

I will be travelling down on the day but will be in time for a trackwalk and scrutineering etc.

PM me if you would like this

Stu

• Like 1