Newbie Speed Series Questions

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Please post any questions here that you have if you are new to Sprinting and Hillclimbing and one of the more experienced people will be along to answer soon. But do make sure that you have read the Beginners Guide first as there is a lot covered in that. Link is in a pinned post in this area.

Or here http://www.wscc.co.uk/download/Beginners-Guide-2011.pdf

One thing to add to the excellent guide is the requirement in 2013 for front a rear towing points to be clearly identified. I shall be putting some tape and stickers on my roll bar :)

One thing to add to the excellent guide is the requirement in 2013 for front a rear towing points to be clearly identified. I shall be putting some tape and stickers on my roll bar :)

I keep meaning to do that, although never had a comment on it from scrut's last year. I guess with a full cage on something like a Westfield, it is rather obvious!! Might put a couple of pieces of yellow tape round the top transverse tubes, or should it be green? I can't remember.

I keep meaning to do that, although never had a comment on it from scrut's last year. I guess with a full cage on something like a Westfield, it is rather obvious!! Might put a couple of pieces of yellow tape round the top transverse tubes, or should it be green? I can't remember.

That's because it's new for 2013 Stephen, so in 2012 Scrut's were not checking for it  :d  :d  :d  :d

You will need to read the MSA regs as our regs now refer to them a lot more, have got rid of a lot of duplication of wording.  :yes:

From reading the 2013 MSA Blue Book, it doesn't mention a windscreen bring mandatory, nor do the wscc regs (that I can spot, anyway!).

Is this a change for 2013 and I can now run with an aero screen? I'd it's in the blue book this presumably affects other series too, such as harewood which is my nearest hill climb (after Elvington, whose days are numbered I reckon).

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Aero screens are now allowed in some classes (I'm not sure which at present) but I know D is one of them.

IIRC, windscreen regs don't come from the MSA, but from the clubs organizing individual championships and events.

The 2013 Speed Series allows either windscreen or aeroscreen (at the competitor's choice) in all road-going classes  --  so you can run with an aeroscreen if you wish. However, be aware that (especially in the north) you might find yourself in a different "class on the day" at a particular event from your SS class competitors who are running full screens. This isn't a worry though, the SS scorer will make sure you are correctly classified for championship purposes.

HTH

That's great, thanks for the clarification.

It takes a big chunk of cost out of the barrier to entry too as the safety gear is going to work out expensive enough without then having to fit a screen and associated gubbins.

Ta muchly, Steve

Mmmm I may have already got the screen and associated gubbins before it was announced. Still may fit it in the future

• Like 1

That's great, thanks for the clarification.

It takes a big chunk of cost out of the barrier to entry too as the safety gear is going to work out expensive enough without then having to fit a screen and associated gubbins.

Ta muchly, Steve

Hi Steve, That's good to hear as that was the main reason we changed the regs to try and make it easier / cheaper to get into Sprinting. Also those people with windscreens don;t forget you can leave it on. As has already been said by David H the north reclassify cars without screen into another class. Individual clubs have different rules which can make it confusing as you go around the country.

Thanks for your reply in the other thread Nick, I have a couple of questions if poss please...

- The beginners guide says a non-race Nat B license is required, the WSCC regs state non-race Nat B or above. Does that mean a Race National B is sufficient, or does a non-race specific license need to be gained also?

- On a similar note, the regs say a novice is classed as someone who has competed in less than 20 Speed Series events, and not had significant competition experience in another motorsport discipline. Regarding the second part of that statement, is there a defined boundary (such as, more than 6 signatures on a race license) or is it up to the competitor to assess their own experience level?

As an aside, the Beginner's Guide was excellent :yes: Thanks again.

Hi Adam, I believe the non race Nat B is the minimum requirement.

I hold a National "A" Stage Rally licence. Never had a problem at any event.

Must agree defining a novice does seem a little grey though,

Thanks - wasn't quite sure what the license 'hierarchy' was, but did think a race license would be sufficient - just wanted to check!

Ooh, new question... The regs say the best 8 events will count for Novice award, does this mean there are three separate 'categories' (can't think of a better way to put that)? Example...

1) 'Full' series, for 'experts' (edit: and novices too if they so wish) - best 10 events count.

2) 'Novice' series, for those classified as 'novices', 'experts' not allowed - best 8 events count.

3) 'Sprint Challenge', for both 'novices' and 'experts' - max 6 events, 2 of which must be WSCC-run, best 5 count.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get it clear in my head, and hoping it may help a few others along the way. Thanks.

Sorry Adam can't help on this one as these classifications are new. I believe your interpritation seems logical though.

However if correct, a novice would be unable to achieve overall honours no mater how quick he/she was throughout the season ???

- On a similar note, the regs say a novice is classed as someone who has competed in less than 20 Speed Series events, and not had significant competition experience in another motorsport discipline. Regarding the second part of that statement, is there a defined boundary (such as, more than 6 signatures on a race license) or is it up to the competitor to assess their own experience level?

my interpretation is that the application of this rule will be at the discretion of the competitor and the SS comittee to ensure that the novice classes are exactly that and for novices with little previous experience and kept as such for fair sport and so as to prevent pot hunting from other championships.

Sorry Adam can't help on this one as these classifications are new. I believe your interpritation seems logical though.

However if correct, a novice would be unable to achieve overall honours no mater how quick he/she was throughout the season ???

Novices in classes A&B can compete for full overall honours over 10 rounds in the same way as classes C-F.  I can't see anywhere where it states that only experts are elegable for the overall championship?