Hero tyres........for all the wrong reasons

markcoopers

So my new blatting toy a Mk1 MX5 has  demonstrated a very tail happy nature, especially in the wet.While this is fun in a steer from the rear kind of way, allowing sideways at all opportunities it does come with some risks..I kid you not, i span it at 5mph the other day.

So Northampton Motor sport had a look at getting the wheels pointing in the right way today, discovering that while out, they were not too bad. That said the steering wheel is now straight and the tendency to spin at the mear incling of acceleration has gone, but not far away.

Turns out Hero tyres are so called due to them making you one in the wet....

4 new tyres on order, hopefully with some grip

Thanks to troy though, coffee was good, Porker was funny and the car drives a lot better.......I'll bring the ferrari for a power run and a laugh in the new year

some of the Chinese  Budget tyres are bordering on dangerous! I buy a fair few cars and the ones previously owned by cheapskates have cheapo ditch finders  on and you can tell by the time you have gone round one roundabout :o  :o  :o   the difference in a car with good tyres like Continentals  on and a car with some s***ty Chinese tyre on is staggering especially in the wet ,  we have been running a A3 Quattro 170tdi  with Continentals on and you can throw it into a roundabout in wet conditions and nail the throttle mid corner  like its bone dry , even I cant make it understeer  ;)  :oops:  :d

Have similar tyres on the rear of mine, Westlake H660s I think, they are £19 new :d Every single roundabout is... Eventful, even at normal driving speeds!

I would recommend brilliantis or Nankang sports tourers for anyone that likes "bush trimming"

• Like 1

Westlake tyres?    With that name it seems very sporty, old English racing outfit I remember.

15 mins of interwebbing had Continental premium contact 5's at £50 a corner and Dunlop SP Fastresponce at £38 a corner. I think i will be placing an order shortly

Conti sport contacts for me every time

Ditto. I had a set of Sport Contact 3 on the Volvo, unbelievable wet weather grip for 220bhp & 220lb/ft thought the front wheels.

Thanks to troy though, coffee was good, Porker was funny and the car drives a lot better.......I'll bring the ferrari for a power run and a laugh in the new year

here's a quick video of the funny porker

here's a quick video of the funny porker

why funny?

I think the air filter was in a more erect position when Mark saw it and I think the fact that the charger made more noise than the engine amused him.

I think the air filter was in a more erect position when Mark saw it and I think the fact that the charger made more noise than the engine amused him.

fair enough :d

with Continentals on and you can throw it into a roundabout in wet conditions and nail the throttle mid corner  like its bone dry , even I cant make it understeer  ;)  :oops:  :d

Turn off the TC and try it again... :devil:

We always try to advise customers dont fit budget tyres and go for mid range at least. The funny thing is it's mostly the boy racers that think they can drive that turn round to us and say the the budget grip just as well. :d