Oh Joy, it's arrived.

Norman Verona

No my ducks all packed there little ducky bags and departed. Because one of your Huskies (in the disguise of a fox) started eating them.

I trained them well....survival you see!!! And they all like a good "duck".

Too well. The fox decapitated one, took a huge lump out of another which died later in the day and killed a few of the ducklings. I suspect they must have given the fox a hard time as that was all, out of about 20 adults and 12 ducklings. If you've ever been "beaked" by a duck you'll know it hurts.

Hi Norm, not been on the Mortimer Rd so I’ll take a trip next Spring. I’ll also check out the garage going into Castleton not many Bugatti’s around. My Father had a garage in Leek Staffs opposite David Scott Moncrieff’s, Avril his wife used to race her Buggatti so I had the pleasure of a few trips out many years ago. I think the road the picture of the car was taken was the old main road which has now been closed. I have been down the Blue John mine about 18 years ago, nothing as grand as a 7 course meal but maybe a “Twix” or two for the kids. I found it very claustrophobic but had to be brave, didn’t want to be called a coward.

OK, more boring stuff. 

Mortimer Road was built as a toll road by Sir John Mortimer. It was built to carry wool from the Derbyshire farms to the mills in Halifax and the finished product back south.

He just about finished it with a few pennies left. The government of the day then nationalised it without compensation. Mortimer died a pauper. There are still a few roadside stones left (ie not nicked) with the legend "Take Off". The single horse drawn wagons couldn't get up the hills so they would hire a second horse to help pull the full wagon up. When they reached the stone, they paid their penny and the horse was taken off and returned to the bottom.

There's also a theory about Bronte's Jane Eyre. Apparently she was friends of the daughter of the vicar of Hathersage.  The two girls would go for long walks around the area. Mortimer Road was there before the Snake (A57) was built. It must have followed what is now the A57 into Bamford and then on into Derbyshire. In the book Jane Eyre there's a description of a house with a gallows in the garden (I haven't read the book). The sleuths worked out that this house would have been on Mortimer Road and, in fact traced it and found the stump of a square stake in the garden which could have been a gallows.

There's much more to this Jane Eyre story. The Eyres are a prominent family in the hope valley. The story goes that at the battle of Hastings, Guilliam (William) was struck off his horse and was injured and couldn't get up to his feet due to the weight of his armour  One of his soldiers found him and got him back on his horse therefore saving his life. The next day, William sent out his men to find the soldier so he could be thanked. They came back with the news that the soldier had been wounded and was not expected to live beyond nightfall. William had him brought to his enclosure and ordered his doctors to save the mans life. He recovered and was given a tract of land in the north of the kings new land. He changed his name to Eyre, the (then) French for Air as it was the kings air that saved his life. When he and his family got to the allotted tract of land, stood at the head of the area, what is probably now Surprise Bend, and named his new valley Hope as it gave him hope of new life. There is, to this day, a business, called Eyres on the road into Bradwell. 

Stuff and nonsense? Who knows.

Boring? Yes, but it is from me.

I only get it from others. I'm just a sad old git who likes to listen to this nonsense.