How are people heating their garage?

kevip6

Given the cold weather being upon us and I've got loads to do on the car over winter, what's the best way to warm it up at night?

Price in both buying heaters and running heaters should be a consideration as well.

It's a single garage about 18' x 9' I would guess

Cheers

if you ant quick heat a electric blower heater witha stat on it

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="tfwebdesign" data-cid="1011208" data-time="1355451969"><p>

Put a jumper on and man up..... lol lol</p></blockquote>

Ha ha yeah I tried the maning up but after an hour I couldn't feel my feet :)

Cause my garage is small and I'm not the daintiest of fellows I don't like wearing shoes or too many layers as its too cumbersome

Carpet and a cheap electric heater with thermostat, anti frost mode and it's wall mounted away from everything!

I use one of those oil filled plug in radiator things, (the flat panel versions) it seems, given current oil/gas/electricity prices to be about the most economic method. Pretty efficient too at taking the edge off the cold. Will get the temperature well up if you turn it up high enough, but that always seems a bit pointless in the garage.

the other thing I did was to try and reduce the gaps round the main garage door somewhat; I've got that brush type draft excluder fitted across the bottom edge of the door now - you can get it in quite decent widths if you hunt. One thing I keep meaning to do is line the roof with Kingspan or similar. Trouble is, there's so much stored in the rafters, I've just not been able to face getting it all down!

(Do be careful when blocking holes up though, that some area, particularly round the roof/soffits may be supposed to be partially open for ventilation etc)

I have a 3kw wall mounted electric convector heater and Last year I plumbed in a huge double convector radiator to the main central heating system, I was taking my engine out yesterday was -2 outside and must have been 23 degrees in my garage was roasting   :cool:  I had  been Joking with Andrew about how warm it was and that I was working in my underpants and vest,  he came round yesterday just as I got my lad to give me a lift out with it, he had just been in the shower so as Andrew came through the door My lad was stood in a pair of shorts and socks no shirt on  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

now ya see it 

061-1_zps178e788e.jpg

and now you dont

071-2_zps908e5014.jpg

luckily no underpants shots  :d  :d  :d

I used a 3kw oil filled radiator jobby. Set it to come on an hour or so before I got home from work. Never had it set high, just enough to get the bite out of things which it did fine. The previous year I was absolutely freezing!

Lots of clothes :d

Been working in the warehouse with the shutter open til about 9pm all this week, it's fine if you keep moving!

My workshop is far too big to heat properly. I'll get round to fitting the garage door I bought last May and then I have a paraffin heater to keep me warm. I also have a Butane space heater but it uses a bottle of gas in 2 or 3 days.

I have to say recently, I have mostly been staying indoors and not going into the garage but if I do they usually give me a cup of coffee as I connect my ipad to the wifi and wait for them to finish washing the car  ;)

Sealing the garage door helps a lot, stops the heat escaping and the wind blowing in.  I use a small fan heater when it's really tatters.