Machine Mart offering 10% off their woodburners.

Norman Verona

They seem good prices, is there anything to consider when fitting these other than the flume through the chimney? 

Are they best left to the professionals to fit?

Just been watching Real Rescues on TV. They were called out to a lady who's wall was so hot that she couldn't touch it. Fire Brigade measure temperature of the wall at 85c. They ripped out the fireplace mantle and fire. Then the hood and found that it had been installed without a liner. The chap said it would have caught fire in another 30 minutes.

So, yes they need installing by someone who knows what they're doing. The one above was installed by a so called expert who she was about to set about.

They seem good prices, is there anything to consider when fitting these other than the flume through the chimney? 

Are they best left to the professionals to fit?

Theres no reason why you can't install one yourself, its not really that difficult providing you have suitable knowledge and as this works is notifiable you must submit a Building Regulations for them to oversee the installation. However if you're unsure then use a HETAS registered installer who can self certify their installation.

In summary, there's several considerations when installing them yourself.

The size and construction of the hearth

The position of the appliance on the hearth

The clearance distance to walls and the fire recess

The type and diameter of the flue

The method of insulating the flue

Provision of sufficient combustion ventilation

The height of the chimney, it's position on the roof and relationship to neighbouring buildings

And you'll need a CO2 alarm

If in doubt, ask your friendly building inspector for advice at the next monthly meet :)

• Like 1

Be careful of the ones in machine mart - I had a look when I was hunting for one - they can be a bit too cheap (chinese import very cheap) - I ended up with one from a place near Snetterton - naturalheating.co.uk    they also sell all spares and accessories - I installed mine and so long as you use some common-sense and check everything out you should be fine - I chose to install a stainless steel flue liner for the full height of my chimney - you can also get double wall fully insulated if you are fixing it externally. Using a liner helps if you are unsure about the integrity and structure of your chimney - don't forget you wil also need a steel plate over your burner within chimney and always fit a damper plate within the first metre length of flue pipe ;)

wouldnt touch em with a barge pole..... a stove is a wood fired /coal fired furnace sitting in your house - normal temps are 600 to 800 degree's.  We have clear view as they are just the best IMO.  Stovax are good too and anything from Sweden/Norway/Latvia in the premium range are good too.

Fire box must be airtight to ensure draw and no CO escape AND the the controlability (is that a word?) of the base air and throat air (made up terms) but I would scrimp on neither the stove OR the installation by a HETAS accredited installer with full PL/PI insurance.

Keep warm  :d

:d fitted my own  just never told any one :d

I only mention the PI insurance in case any teenagers are gassed in my living room when the kids have a sleep over - i want to pass the admin to a third party.....

aww its lovely and warm :)

u cant beat em - especially if you get paid in July for a day to cut wood that heats your house for the whole of december and January  :t-up:

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="pete g" data-cid="1011182" data-time="1355436037"><p>

:d fitted my own just never told any one :d</p></blockquote>

Just watch out there might be some friendly local building inspectors reading this :)