The ring

gregboy

I fancy going next year. Thinking about towing my Westie behind my camper but then I miss out on the drive, but then I don't have to pay much for accom!

I fancy going next year. Thinking about towing my Westie behind my camper but then I miss out on the drive, but then I don't have to pay much for accom!

There isn't much of a drive to miss out on, it's pretty dull!

Agreed! A drive through Belgium is far from exciting. Getting into Germany and seeing your first de-restricted autobahn sign and not much traffic is pretty special the first time though. I did enjoy seeing the scenery change as we got closer but you'll get that either way! I think we arrived at about 7am on a Sat morning having caught the 2hr ferry from Dover at mid-night. A near full 24hrs awake. Then the RedBull stopped me from properly sleeping until 10pm! Doh

Dodgey, get SWMBO to drive the camper and you drive the Westfield.

This is what we do as she won't come in the 7. 

Agreed! A drive through Belgium is far from exciting. Getting into Germany and seeing your first de-restricted autobahn sign and not much traffic is pretty special the first time though. I did enjoy seeing the scenery change as we got closer but you'll get that either way! I think we arrived at about 7am on a Sat morning having caught the 2hr ferry from Dover at mid-night. A near full 24hrs awake. Then the RedBull stopped me from properly sleeping until 10pm! Doh

This /\/\/\

The roads through Belgium are pretty tedious with some horrendous surfaces. It was bad enough in the Golf and Type-R the las couple of time I went.

Well worth hiring something to hoon around the ring in though - we had a 'rocco the last time and a TT and BMW the times before - we've used http://www.rentracecar.de/index-gb.htm'>THESE GUYS for all our hiring, Theo and Heidi are great to deal with.

Oh my chick (SWDWSBT) loves the Westie, but she's as sane as me and would not enjoy 9 hours with ear plugs in, in a car with no heating. Was chatting about it tonight. Going to plan a week journey round parts of Germany, involving going to the Ring during the week to get a "quieter" midweek TF day, or a track day. We'll sleep in the Bongo which easily covers the cost of ferries and diesel (well, veg oil). It's fully converted (by me) and very comfortable. That way I'm also always with the car and trailer overnight, and we get a fun car to go sight seeing in! :-)

Last time I checked the car and trailer cost me about 1mpg extra.

IMG_1610Small.jpg

IMG_1596Small.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

Now that looks brilliant. I have this stupid plan to sell the farm and buy a huge camper, maybe made out of an old double decker bus. Then build a double decked trailer for the 7 and a workshop. We could then drive wherever the weather was best and where the roads are good for blatting. Satellite TV, mobile phones, what more can one want.

HM says NO so it remains a stupid plan.

:-)   It is a slightly odd plan considering you seem to have rather a nice setup already.

I love the camper - when I do track days my GF sits in there and makes me tea and bacon sarnies :-)   (p.s. you can't see but the roof goes up so you can stand in there)

It's an odd plan for an odd bloke.

Don't you sometimes look out at the wet grey weather and think wouldn't it be nice to be laying on a beach in North Africa?

Norm, If you get a winnebago you will only end up tiling the floor and adding a stone and oak porch so the power to weight ratio will be awful......  :) james 

Norm, If you get a winnebago you will only end up tiling the floor and adding a stone and oak porch so the power to weight ratio will be awful......  :) james 

Sort of like this, but in a camper ;)

3961610155_e5a9f47e3a_z.jpg

And a bit of tiling...

5300995700_dfc6195a65_z.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, yes, that looks good. But I'm bored with this DIY lark. I now know why, for 40 years, I got a man in.

Dodgey, I said sunshine, not sunny but freezing in snow!