Help please, I am moving to keyless ignition...

CJspeedsport

....and I don't know what I'm doing!!

In removing my steering column to send off to have a Playskool racing quick release boss welded on, I decided to remove the steering barrel lock (what a pain in the backside that was!!!) and move to keyless ignition. QMECH Ltd fitted an FIA cut out for me last week and did a few other odd jobs on the car (which I will write about shortly).

I've been reading about people who have fuel pump cut off's, ECU switches etc as part of their keyless system. My car is fitted with an immobiliser so I guess the fuel and ECU are wired into that? Can I interrupt the fuel pump going into the immobiliser as an extra (under the bonnet) safety device? OR is that dangerous if someone (me!) forgets to put it on and turns the engine over.

The wires from the immobiliser to the ignition are a feed to switch, ignition feeds, feed to starter solenoid and auxiliary. If I buy an aircraft style switch and a push button, what goes where?!

You might think from reading this that I really don't have a clue about anything, but the reality is, I'm just trying to be in keeping with the newbie theme of this sub-forum....cough....cough...

Anyone who can give me a point in the right direction will be rewarded with bacon butties at any track day/speed series event I meet them at!

Chris

From that description it doesn't sound like the fuel pump is wired through the immobiliser, just the starter and ignition.

Are you sure you want to remove the steering lock - its useful if towing to stop the wheels moving about and loosening your straps?

There's no real danger in having some sort of fuel pump cutout. If it gets tripped the engine will just stop (or not start) - you won't do damage unless you crash because of it.

The aircraft starter button - very simple to wire, just figure out the wiring to your ignition barrel - find which wire is the switched live and which is the starter live and wire connect the two through the button so when you press it you are making the starter wire live.

• Like 1

Insurance company ? This could be a real problem as you may be deemed as not taking care to look after the car. If you do this I'd speak to your insurance company -I'd guess they'd refuse cover !

Not exactly the area in the example below; but the reasonable care bit is valid and an insurance company usually asks for keys to be submitted after its been knicked ( usually in the small print) - try explaining to them why you haven't any ?

In the last issue of ombudsman news (issue 37, May/June 2004) we set out some of the general principles that we take into account when assessing "keys in car" cases – where motor insurers have rejected claims for theft, or attempted theft, because the ignition keys were left in – or on – the vehicle.

As we explained, although practically all motor insurance policies include a clause excluding claims in these circumstances, insurers still need to draw the attention of policyholders to this clause, as it constitutes a major restriction on the scope of cover. Where insurers fail to do this, we may uphold a complaint, even though the circumstances of the theft fall within the scope of the exclusion clause. In such a case, we still consider whether the policyholder was in breach of any "reasonable care" condition in their policy – that is, whether they acted "recklessly". If we are satisfied that they did not act recklessly, we will require the firm to meet the claim.

Thanks both. I've got my new push start up and running and I'm very pleased with it!

I'll have a chat to the insurance company, I'm up for renewal soon anyway...

My only concern is the "auxilliary" wire (As per the westfield build handbook) which appeared to have been carefully attached to the origninal barrel-locking, keyed starter. I couldn't work out what it does, and is now not attached to anything! Do you have any thoughts on what it could be?

Chris

It's one of those things I do occasionally think of doing; up till recently, whenever I'd thought about it, it's always been in conjunction with a wireless transponder immobiliser - I'd though about mounting the aerial down by the side of the drivers seat to pick up the fob while it's in my pocket.

But a question last insurance renewal set me thinking; sadly though, not quickly enough to actually ask while i was on the 'phone though. Doh :bangshead::durr:

While going through the usual questions about the car and it's security, I mentioned the removable steering wheel, (no gain, but no pain either in having it from an insurance point of view), but, I was immediately asked if I still had a steering lock, or if this had been removed when fitting the wheel. I only really thought about that from a keyless point of view later on. I must ask the insurance company about it, would I need to still have some kind of mechanical immobilisation? Would the transponder immobiliser "make up for" the lack of key and steering lock? or would the premium just be loaded accordingly?