Please Note: Forthcoming New Signature Size Limits

Captain Colonial

Following numerous negative comments from members and forum users about the current level of overly large sized and / or content of some members' signatures, the committee has decided that, in common with many other Internet boardrooms, changes will be made in approximately one week from now regarding what will be allowed in members' signature strips, with limits as follows:

Maximum number of images in signature: 1

Maximum image size: 600 pixels wide x 175 pixels high

Maximum number of URLs (Links): 1 (2 for Area Organisers)

If your currently have a signature strip photo, the boardroom software may automatically scale it to meet the new sizes, but you need to be aware of these new size limits so you can rescale your signature photo yourself if necessary. Slight photo size limit changes may be made in future if it is determined that the new limits are insufficient and need adjusting. Avatar photos are already limited and will not be affected.

Videos of any kind in signature strips will not be allowed and may be removed without prior notice by administrators if they appear in a signature. Videos take a great deal of bandwidth for members to download when reading the boardroom, slowing their browsing experience down considerably, particularly if a member with a video in their signature comments on multiple pages. However, you can still place your YouTube type videos inside your profile if you wish other members to be able to view them.

The limit on URLs (links) is to prevent signatures turning into mass free commercial advertising areas for companies who are not WSCC Traders or Sponsors. However, you may make a personal endorsement in your signature if you are a satisfied customer. For instance, a signature (linked or unlinked) that contained “Kellogg’s Frosties – they’re grrrrrreat!” would almost certainly be removed by the administrators, but a signature that contained an unlinked statement such as “I enjoy Kellogg’s Frosties and recommend them to others” is a personal endorsement and quite different.

The changes will take place in approximately one week from this post to allow everyone time to adjust the signature strips as necessary.

If you have any questions or doubts regarding whether your signature strip will be allowed, please ask first.

I think AOs should be allowed more than one link. I have two - one to our facebook page and the other to the pub where we meet - as you can see quite clearly below!!

Rory's Dad

I think AOs should be allowed more than one link. I have two - one to our facebook page and the other to the pub where we meet - as you can see quite clearly below!!

Rory's Dad

Or you could always link to the Local Events page, which has both the Facebook link, a map very similar to your other link, and your name and full contact details as well.

http://www.wscc.co.uk/local.htm

:t-up:

Not happy - we are making things difficult for new and existing members for the sake of recovering a bit of bandwidth (whatever that is)

Rory's Dad

Bandwidth is how long it takes to download something from the Internet - so people who have huge sig photos and videos really slow down how fast a page loads, particularly for people with slower Internet access speeds. So it makes no difference to the club, but it does make the pages better for the members to view and read.

There will be very, very few members affected, but an announcement was made out of courtesy. The number of complaints and comments was large or it never would have been considered, and is standard policy on most forums - in many cases the limits are generous, in fact.

Don't think mine helped :(

Happy for it to be re sized if it works. If not are there any recommendations for software to do it.

Nope, yours, while admittedly large ish in physical size was specifically compressed to have very low impact on bandwidth in download terms. That said, there's obviously a fair bit of screen real estate taken up that has to be scrolled through when reading posts.

Rory's Dad

i would agree with that.... as i am a person with a build diary and this leaves me with nothing for the local website/facebook or vicky versa.

other than that its fine.

Cheers

John

The addittional band width may be needed to allow commercial ad`s to load up quickly and generate the hits for these that are required .

I`ve removed my sig etc so people can at least up load threads easily when not on BB - it`s very simple to ignore individual sig`s that cause problems in ignore settings but may be that would be too simple a way of dealing with it as it doesnt involve a moan !

:t-up:

OK gentlemen AOs, I can see your point on needing an extra URL - you shall have two, provided they are used correctly as in the OP, which I have no doubt they will be. :)

• Like 1

Don't think mine helped :(

Happy for it to be re sized if it works. If not are there any recommendations for software to do it.

Huge as in physical dimensional size, rather than file size, which is what slows a page down - both can be sorted fairly easily. Wait for the change to come in, it might do it all by itself. If not, PM me and I have the software to sort it for you. :)

OK gentlemen AOs, I can see your point on needing an extra URL - you shall have two, provided they are used correctly as in the OP, which I have no doubt they will be. :)

Yipee!

Thanks Mem Sec!!

Rory's Dad

Thank you..