FRONT SUSPENSION

WINGNUT

Hi all! As of April this year i became the proud owner of my first Westy!!! :d After months of tinkering and finding out which bits are fitted or not (still finding out to this day) i am now starting to want to put my own mark on my baby! I have started looking at front suspension, i am currently running standard track chrome wishbones and have enquired about having them powder coated to convert over to black set up, however the company i rang said powder coating over chrome isn't ideal and finish would be good but not as good as it could be. I then enquired about replacement wishbones from westfield themselves and as you all know aren't cheapest, i was then informed by the helpful chap in the parts about the wide track which is currently on offer! Help or advice with recoating originals or replacements would be very grateful, my concern with wide track is i dont know how much it will change the handling or ride as i am more than happy with it now, westfield said it helps plant the front end more but from my six months behind the wheel its the back that needs planting ha ha!

kind regards Scott

Hyah Scott whereabouts in Manchester are you?

I've got the westfield widetrack front supension in black,

Why not come along to the manchester area meeting and I'll show you mine if you show me yours ;)

Oh yeah no proper powder coater would use chrome as a base, they should sandblast all the chrome off back to bare metal to get a good finish.

Hi and thanks for your reply, im near radcliffe just off the A666 where are you! The meet sounds good but being new to it could u tell me where and when its on? Also do they still happen in our most sunkist of days

Hyah W/N Radcliffe, hmmm the original Manchester meets used to be in the Sparking Clog way back when.

I'm in Hollinwood, but we meet all year round in Chadderton, just off the A627M.

If your quick and pm John the Manchester AO you could come along to the Crimbo do in central Manchester, that way you get to meet everyone in one hit.

Dont be shy now it'll be a good do and we dont bite.....well Glen might slobber a bit when he's had a few pints, but thats all :d

See here for details http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/97817-manchester-christmas-party-81212-7pm-part-2/

stoneclough to be exact! Thats my weekend in work so will have to take a rain check unfortunately! :cry: Has your westy always ran wide track setup? if not how do you find it compared to standard? when is the next meet and where abouts in Chadderton?

get them dechromed they come up like new then powdercoat

Hi all! As of April this year i became the proud owner of my first Westy!!! :d After months of tinkering and finding out which bits are fitted or not (still finding out to this day) i am now starting to want to put my own mark on my baby! I have started looking at front suspension, i am currently running standard track chrome wishbones and have enquired about having them powder coated to convert over to black set up, however the company i rang said powder coating over chrome isn't ideal and finish would be good but not as good as it could be. I then enquired about replacement wishbones from westfield themselves and as you all know aren't cheapest, i was then informed by the helpful chap in the parts about the wide track which is currently on offer! Help or advice with recoating originals or replacements would be very grateful, my concern with wide track is i dont know how much it will change the handling or ride as i am more than happy with it now, westfield said it helps plant the front end more but from my six months behind the wheel its the back that needs planting ha ha!

kind regards Scott

Hello Scott,

I had a similar thing. The rust was coming through the chrome badly on my cars wishbones. Fortunately, people upgrade to widetrack front suspension quite often and there are secondhand standard track ones available. I put a Wanted ad on the forum and got a set of recent standard track wishbones with decent powder coating for a reasonable price. With the exception of the SDV cars, most Westfield front wishbones are interchangable.

Jen

Good advice from WJ above. If you're not looking to develop the handling just yet but want better cosmetics, pop an ad in the wanted section. Ah, but you may need to invest in club membership first...and indeed as an owner why wouldn't you do that anyway!

Good advice from WJ above. If you're not looking to develop the handling just yet but want better cosmetics, pop an ad in the wanted section. Ah, but you may need to invest in club membership first...and indeed as an owner why wouldn't you do that anyway!

Hi Scott

WSCC Membership. The best £30 you'll spend on the car. Go on, you know you want to.

We get a bounty from the Membership Sec for everyone we persuade to sign up. I prefer plain to milk chocolate ones. :d

Jen

Membership is on the agenda! thanks for your replys gives me some sense of direction now! Not so sure about the bountys if i persuade anybody to join ill be selling mine in the parts section keep your eyes peeled WJ :d

Can't imagine powder coating a set of wishbones would be too expensive. I just had a cam cover done, full prepped (all old paint removed), coated, and delivered came in at around £50 IIRC. Used Triple-S over in West Yorkshire.

I have had a quote of £65 for the front wishbones and coil springs but they said chrome couldnt be removed but several other phone calls have revealed it can (along with wscc members input also) which begs the question is the company i rang going to give a good finished product?????? ill check out triple s thanks for your help!

Cough.... did someone say hello from manchester!

please feel free to come and see us.... we meet on 2nd wednesday on the month and we dont bite!

any questions please feel free to contact me johnpdwilliams@hotmail.com

cheers

john

Triple S every time! Not only is Andy a Westfield owner of long standing, but their work is genuinely excellent. I've had other powder coating done at a much more convenient local place, (that came well recommended) and its not a patch on Andy's work.

Is it worth the upgrade to wide track? How big a difference is there? If its not massive or worth it financially I will just have my original wishbones done! On that note am I best speaking to Andy himself at Triple S with him being an owner too as he will know what's what