Replacing A Tuner In A Hi-Fi System To Bring It Up To Date

Garry Bunn - Derby & Notts Joint AO

Has anyone used one of these or something similar.....this would give an old but good hi-fi system a wide variety of input like DAB, USB and streaming from a home server (pc) or internet.....

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tuners/marantz/na7004/mara-na7004-blk

Link goes to your Email account. Haven't heard of those devices before but Marantz products are usually pretty good.

Not sure what happened with the link..... please check if it works ok.....

Works now. I have some Marantz units and no problems - yet.

They are 20 years old.

Works now.

It seems to do everything except make the tea. Much too complicated for me as Ive just grown out of vinyl and into CD's, the jury is still out on which is best but really they both have their place. It seems if you want multisourced music this is the gadget to buy.

Works now. I have some Marantz units and no problems - yet.

They are 20 years old.

Quite new then Norman.

My bestus amplifier is a Sugden A48 from 1970, so smooth and not tiring at high volume, it's been back to the Sugden factory twice in it's life for a refresh, it'll see me out, as they say.

Its not really the quality of the Marantz products I'm looking for but the best way of feeding a good amp and speakers with feeds from the various feeds that are around today.

Like DAB, a USB stick with various music tracks on, your old cd's, iphone etc.....

What you actually hear will only be as good as the source the music is coming from, the Marantz would pass on the music to your other amp ( whatever it is) without any degredation, won't improve the original source though.

According to the Richer Sounds blurb it will have the connectivity you want.

Take a look at the Logitech Squeezebox Touch too. £200 or less. Doesn't have DAB but does have internet radio capability. And Spotify (if you subscribe). I've got one and all my LPs and CDs now on a Netgear NAS in FLAC and beamed wirelessly to the Squeezebox which has a fab DAC. It's brilliant.

Thanks Peter didn't know that and it's a b*gger. It is a bit of a sod to set up properly and they never marketed it properly nor had the right level of instruction. Shame 'cos it is a fab piece of kit. What else is out there that can convert FLAC files I wonder?

Lots of Blatchat re: Sonos systems (and alternatives) here Garry:

http://www.blatchat....t.asp?id=220466

Thanks Peter.... Some deep stuff on that thread and some terms I have had to research just to understand the post.

Very enlightening........