Lego Madness

FILFAN

just done my lego christmas shop for myself and my 6 year old (mainly me :d )

not only am i now broke but have counted all the bits and worked out i will have around 5500 parts to fit together somehow. :cry: :cry:

i know im a big kid but there is some investment to be had in the stuff.

i love the stuff. should keep me busy for a couple of nights.

maybe i should do a build thead

Lego, never understood it. Mecano is the thing for real boys.

Lego now has programmable robotics , servos, sensors etc. I've build rubic cube solving Lego robots ( and written the code) and loads of other types of robots. It's moved on a long way whilst mechano hasn't so much. Id have loved a load of mechano though I think mechano was too pricey for my parents at the time.

Filfan - did you get the rock crawler? I was tempted, but after the most recent unimog my collection is kinda out of hand :-)

But wasn't that the whole attraction of Mecano, it was a load of simple bits and the child used his imagination to build something. Bridges, buildings, aeroplanes, trains, cars... the list goes on. Ed to add that I forget the cranes, huge cranes with winding wheels and string.

I suppose that's the sign of the times, if it hasn't got a processor it's no good. Used to be if it didn't have batteries.

But that was the problem; unless it's changed in the last few years, Mecanno pretty much appeared to have sold out when it changed hands. Too many bespoke, shaped, special pieces to make individual models work with the least amount of actual construction.

I'm talking about the 1950s so wouldn't know what happened to it after that. I found girls in the 1960s and thought that was much better.

Same idea you just built them into what you wanted.

(well we can but dream)

My grandson has a lego millennium falcon thingie. I don't think it'll be a collectors edition though.

Took my daughter-in-law all weekend to build it and she said she wished he hadn't started.

However she did say the instructions were good. But where's the imagination in that?

Seen the price of that Lego Ultimate Millenium Falcon collectors edition? (Part No. 11709). 2 grand for a USED one!

Yup and I have the entire set

Just Googled the MF, wow what a fantastic set! (And not to shabby an investment if you'd bought one to keep un-built)

The LEGO Unimog at £122 delivered is more affordable and quite a fun build.... er, so I'm told ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Technic-8110-Mercedes-Benz-Unimog/dp/B004OT2WKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1352729182&sr=1-1

thats what I ordered last night.

It's just been shipped :)