Westy Gathering 2013

ziplob

good call steve - i second the Curb idea - smack bang in the middle of the country too

good call steve - i second the Curb idea - smack bang in the middle of the country too

National Memorial Arboretum is next door too....could that be worked in?

even better call uk89camarro..... i'd love to see the memorial and the young arboretum...

there are many routes that will fit with each area of the UK... it does seem that there is a growing support for a national meet - as long as it is at a place that has no speed bumps, can host a good few folks then it should be good. There is also a plan being hatched for a jaunt to Somme/Belgium with a few servicemen on-board - again watch this space.....

Very good idea James, Slight change suggestion... Instead of meeting points etc, the whole trip could start at Headley Court. Obviously people that are attending would meet at their local area's before driving to Headly Court. Headly Court's televised and in the public eye enough. Always double, triple amputee's and the big injuries. But I feel the slightly more minor injuries are missed out. Obviously wheel chairs are not going to happen... Unless tied to roll bar and patient towed! So more able bodied injured servicemen could go. I am waiting for an appointment to Headly Court, as a patient, and being a military nurse I know most the staff and have worked there. I've been a patient there in 2004 - 2005 and returned in 2006 and again in 2007. Not been there since 2007 as a patient, but worked there for 12 weeks in 2009 and am about to go back as a patient in the next 3 months. So if was a possibility I could organise and clear that area and sort out the help for hero's area as a lot of our functions, parties and events are linked to help for hero's. So in summary, as you said, change Olympic stadium meet to Headly Court and have veterans as injured, but nearly able bodied patients.

Count me in! Having done 23 years in the military, more than happy to help.

PS Happy to help in some organisational way.

Thanks Simeon, good on you. I'm hoping to talk to guest later tonight and come up with a plan but am mindful of all the good advice on here from others more experienced in putting on such a jolly.... I think there is a good level of support that a "run for heroes" to the battlefield sites of France and Belgium would be a good idea we need to ensure logistics, insurance, back up and planning is all up to speed. can you PM me with your details and i'll put them on the list along with other volunteers. Cheers, james

i like the plan to visit france/belgum but i was thinking a national meet at the end of july in the middle of the uk we just need a place and four or five people to orginise routes and meeting points . i will look after the north . just need a place and a date so get your thinking caps on .

Ziplob - i concur with you - there should a national meet in the UK AND possibly the run to France /Belgium with a few guests along for the ride/beers... :-)