Westy Gathering 2013

ziplob

anyone fancy orginising a westy gathering in 2013 in the middle of the country apart from stoneligh , how about a campsite in the lake district one massive westy meet july 2013 .

• Like 1

I think we should take the boat out on this one... Ferry crossing... Norm's place in France?

I would love to do a European road trip at some time in my Westielife.

But Middle of the country for this would get more attending.

Is there a Guinness record for the most Westies in one place?

not much use for those in the north

I'm currently in Darlington!

Norm's place in France was a bit of a joke and I know there's few people doing 400-600 miles a week in their Westfield's. in fact that's close to most people's annual drive in a week!

But Cotswolds sounds good... Somewhere in mid Wales maybe?

I had a conversation this year with KirkyBoy (Dan) about organising a "run to the Somme" having seen his road-trip video. Nothing has happened yet as Dan is busy for 2013 but i'm still interested in getting something together if other, like minded, folks are agreeable.

Either running this as a "run for heroes" where if anyone has a spare seat we offer to take a services veteran with us for the trip as a navigator.

Here's my loose idea.

• have 4 meet points - say, Newcastle, Bristol, Manchester and Brum
  • all head to Wembley for massive group meet or Olympic Park. (day 1)
  • over the channel (sponsored hopefully) (Day 1)
  • run through northern france to an, as yet unidentified, Rugby Club as they will have showers, bogs, and a bar/bbq (i know a few having played for too many years) to host us and provide parking spaces and local budget hotel the digs (sponsored hopefully) Day 1 (few lager beers)
  • day 2 - continue run to the somme for visit/small service pay respects then back to overnighter at same/different rugby club
  • then home day 3

I'm up for a UK run by the way if there arent many takers who fancy France but I think if we engage Help For Heroes and Combat Stress charities now and get plans going it might have some legs...

Cheers

James

How about the South West? About the mid point, where Devon is actually...

Very good idea James,

Slight change suggestion... Instead of meeting points etc, the whole trip could start at Headley Court. Obviously people that are attending would meet at their local area's before driving to Headly Court.

Headly Court's televised and in the public eye enough. Always double, triple amputee's and the big injuries. But I feel the slightly more minor injuries are missed out. Obviously wheel chairs are not going to happen... Unless tied to roll bar and patient towed! So more able bodied injured servicemen could go.

I am waiting for an appointment to Headly Court, as a patient, and being a military nurse I know most the staff and have worked there. I've been a patient there in 2004 - 2005 and returned in 2006 and again in 2007. Not been there since 2007 as a patient, but worked there for 12 weeks in 2009 and am about to go back as a patient in the next 3 months. So if was a possibility I could organise and clear that area and sort out the help for hero's area as a lot of our functions, parties and events are linked to help for hero's.

So in summary, as you said, change Olympic stadium meet to Headly Court and have veterans as injured, but nearly able bodied patients.

guest - good call - my number is 07811 207274 if you want to chat. Combat stress is the charity i take people from to work with us. We have some great young men. Im at rugby today til 2 but free later.... cheers, James

How about the South West? About the mid point, where Devon is actually...

I drive from North Brum - Plymouth and back most weekends, even in the snow... In the Westfield. Then just started going Brum - Darlington and back... Plymouth up to Brum is far easier than Darlington - Brum. Plus I feel home of Westfield is Westfield factory near Brum... So possibly something closer to them.

I did 24,000 miles in my Westfield last year, so I'm happy to drive where ever the meeting is going to be.

guest - good call - my number is 07811 207274 if you want to chat. Combat stress is the charity i take people from to work with us. We have some great young men. Im at rugby today til 2 but free later.... cheers, James

Txt sent, at around 4 I'll be driving Darlington - Brum and looks like it'll be bl**dy cold! So could take some time. I'll chat with officer's here that are on personal terms with Headly Court officers and test the response and get back to you.

The place for a great Westfield get together would be our Curborough Sprint meeting or the Blyton venue trackday and sprint

The place for a great Westfield get together would be our Curborough Sprint meeting or the Blyton venue trackday and sprint

this :yes: lots of parking lots of like minded folk there anyway ,bring your tents and beer lifes great :yes: