Westfield World Copy Deadline Approaching

Captain Colonial

Hello

Just a friendly kick in the pants to remind you that the copy deadline for submissions for the Winter issue of Westfield World is Friday, 16 November.

You've done a great job these past few issues and I want to keep up this standard! Let's be having your stories, trips and tips for us all to enjoy. It's your magazine, and it's as good as what you put into it - get cracking!

Thanks,

Scott :)

• 2 weeks later...

BTTT reminder! :t-up:

I've now sent mine :t-up: If for any reason it isn't received please let me know as I'm not quite sure why my write up for the last mag didn't get there ???

Will do, Benny! ;):t-up:

Yes, but what did Peter say? ;):cool:

I fear i may have the same problem :oops: it's twice as long as usual :o as i've had to squeeze 6months worth in :oops:

Twice as long as usual would make it half as long as normal! ;-)

This concern with the Magazine must be resolved asap. May I suggest that those that 'don't mind' could receive the Magazine as a pdf and those that 'object' could receive a hard copy. There should be no difference in membership cost. We seem to be in a situation now that we have plenty of material and not enough money to print it. Madness. There should be a simple yes/no questionnaire in the next Magazine. All IMO of course!!

Rory's Dad

Thanks for your input Martin. :) It's not an easy one, that's for sure. It does seem to be feast or famine on submitted material, and often that's due to the time of year - less run-outs and things to report in winter and early spring, so less content, and vice versa in summer and autumn. Peter Osbourne has a difficult job editing it all into a concise and interesting read on a consistent basis because of that. I'm sure everything that gets contributed is of great interest and value, but occasionally space simply doesn't allow. We have these peaks and troughs - won't be long before an issue comes out and people comment about the lack of material!

The vast majority in the cost of producing a printed magazine is not the physical magazine itself, but the layout, design, editing, printing press set-up, proofing, and labour - the actual ink and paper are the lowest cost items in the whole process. Surprisingly, it costs very little more to print 1,500 copies than it does 1,000 due to economies of scale. But there would still be heavy costs if were just PDF. You also have the added complication that if it's produced as a PDF, how do you ensure only club members get it? It would be easy to bunch together as a group, pay one membership fee and then share the PDF magazine. OK, that may be unfair, but it is possible.

The Chairman did put out a questionnaire regarding the magazine in the third quarter last year, which was posted to everyone in the club on the back of the address slip that came with one of the issues of the magazine. It asked if we should continue to print the magazine or go to PDF, and if we continued to print it, would the members be prepared to accept a reduction from bi-monthly to quarterly? All they had to do was post it back, or email the chairman with their response. Only 10% of the membership bothered to respond, and of those who did, they overwhelming wanted a printed version over PDF and were happy to accept quarterly production.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, not having a go at anyone, and I don't have the answers, never will have, just explaining the facts so we all understand and that it's a very complex and multi-faceted situation - if there's a solution, someone more clever than me will have to supply it. So that person should be pretty easy to find! :d

I cant believe that we now have an issue with the magazine content being too large. Its normally been hard to get articles to fill the pages

Maybe we are now needing to get the magazine done electronically and in members only area

Is it OK if come back to this when a) i'm sober and b) when I have finished the porch which may be Sunday. If I remember/

Comment while you are not sober....it will make more sense! ;-)