Choke Or No Choke

Ian Bunker

I acquired my narrow body 2 months ago. It has a 2 litre Pinto. The carb. is a DGAV 32/36 but all choke coponents have been removed including the choke flaps and spindle. It needs a hand over the top to start it up - . Does anyone else have this problem. i want to convert it to manual choke but need the flaps & spindle - prepared a buy a complete DGV carb but can't afford a new one. Can anyone help please? Thanks

Don't know if there is something strange about the DGAV carb but I had twin 40s on my old smoker and all it took was three good squirts of the right foot and then turn the key and it started first time. I would be surprised if yours wasn't the same. I also needed to give it a bit more gas to keep it ticking over until warm but after a minute or so all was well.

• Like 1

Agreed, choke on my car useful for ten seconds from cold, then it's a real hindrance, never use it at all. As said above 2.5-3 full pedal depressions depending on outside temperature when engine cold is usually enough for a fast start, followed by a bit of light blipping for 10-15 seconds and all is good.

• Like 1

Ebay may be your friend. Some around for reasonable prices. You don't need to get a top quality one, just something you can nick the choke components off and fit to yours. Add a cable and control to the dash and your done.

I used to have a Ford Sierra with a DGAV carburettor. It had an auto choke, so I don't know what cold starting it would have been like without one. Cars I've had with manual choke carburettors have been a pig to start and keep running when cold without using the choke. The only exception was the Westfield when it had DCOE's. This could be started from cold down to minus silly temperatures with just a few pumps on the throttle. DCOE's seem to be a bit different from other carburettors in this respect.

Jen

• Like 1

Don't know if there is something strange about the DGAV carb but I had twin 40s on my old smoker and all it took was three good squirts of the right foot and then turn the key and it started first time.

Mine (twin 45's) was exactly the same :)

• Like 1

Ten pumps for mine, but then no throttle at all until it starts to fire - the starter suddenly runs faster! :d

• Like 1

As others have said, don't bother with the choke, just experiment with a number of full squirts on the load pedal before starting, a DGAV is going to need more than twin carbs, and even more at this time of year. Try 6 and seem what happens.

4 squirts on mine then start with a little throttle and gently caress for about 15 - 20 seconds whilst saying nice things to it. Very similar really to dealing with SWMBO :d... well almost.

Thanks everyone who posted responses. After a really good overhaul of the carb including a new Power Valve Diaphragm it now needs 6 squirts of the gas pedal and it fires up first turn. Naturally without a choke it takes a while to warm up but settles down nicely. Any rough idea of tyre pressures please - they are not low profile - Falkens.