Digi Dash V's Dials

robo1968

Careful you don't confuse the original poster here!

The Race Technology Dash2 as supplied by the Westfield factory, and for which they make a (cough) plug and play loom plus configuration file is a completely different product to the ETB Digi Dash 2 Lite. WF do not make a sub loom for the Digi dash. Though by all acoounts, it's a reasonably straightforward installation, specially as others have said, it does come with matching senders. More to the point, it has been designed for these sorts of installations.

I've used the Race Technology Dash2 for a good number of years now, it's a great piece of kit, but I installed mine well before they became a factory option, it was a steep learning curve and I deal with similar sorts of technology for a living!

The Gems stuff looks interesting, I've always liked the Motec system too, but bear in mind these pieces of kit, like the Dash2, are designed for a very different market to the kit car world. They expect a level of knowledge and ability of the installer and programmer beyond basic spannering and tinkering. Great fun to learn, if you're interested though!

Don't worry, I aware of the difference between the two. The race technology version is just a bit too expensive. DD2 Lite is well priced with all the sensors included.

Excellent! Just worried after some of the posts, you might be expecting to order up a loom from WF and plug it straight in. :d

Don't think I've heard a bad word said against the ETB product.

I seem to remember the GEMS one was about £1300 when they were trying to sell me one at Autosport 2 years ago.

Lovely lovely piece of kit, but in the end I went for the Race Technology Dash 3.

Careful you don't confuse the original poster here!

I've edited my post to reference the Dash 2 specifically rather than generic digital dash :yes:

:yes::d

They're such similar names, but very different products.

One thing to note on the digidash lite is that although it looks identical to the pro version it's not possible to upgrade it by adding a data log box. So if you think you may need the pro features in the future buy the pro version now.

I seem to remember the GEMS one was about £1300 when they were trying to sell me one at Autosport 2 years ago.

Lovely lovely piece of kit, but in the end I went for the Race Technology Dash 3.

A tuner friend of mine swears by gems stuff especially ecu's. that's why i went for the aem ems4 ecu It's basically a budget version made under licence by aem.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

I digital dash needs to be read. My gauges are all fitted so "correct" readings has the needle at 12:00. I need only to glance across the gauges to ensure all is correct. I do not need to read the numbers on the dials.

There was an incident at a race or sprint meeting (I can't remember where) some years ago. The idiot with the Stack digital dash had programmed water temperature above oil pressure. He had also fitted a totally incorrect pulley on his alternator (I seem to recall someone calculated it was spinning at 30,000 rpm at max engine revs). So when his fan belt gave up the struggle and took the oil pump belt with it, his dash showed a rise in engine temperature but not the total loss of oil pressure.

Engine totally destroyed.

I digital dash needs to be read. My gauges are all fitted so "correct" readings has the needle at 12:00. I need only to glance across the gauges to ensure all is correct. I do not need to read the numbers on the dials.

That's a good point - I like that.

There was an incident at a race or sprint meeting (I can't remember where) some years ago. The idiot with the Stack digital dash had programmed water temperature above oil pressure. He had also fitted a totally incorrect pulley on his alternator (I seem to recall someone calculated it was spinning at 30,000 rpm at max engine revs). So when his fan belt gave up the struggle and took the oil pump belt with it, his dash showed a rise in engine temperature but not the total loss of oil pressure.

That, however, is natural selection at its' best!

Sorry to be a party pooper Norman, but that's just bad programming/incorrect use of the kit! Could have happened in a "race" situation with analogue gauges too. We all know how hard it can be even registering an analogue dial. Your method helps to a point, but then so does the bright flashing warning on my "digital" dash when something has gone out of range.

• Like 1

The reality is, most of the time, you actually don't need to know the value of many engine parameters. You just need to know quickly and in an easily understood way when they're not what they should be.

Certain functions are different - rpm for one, here I quite agree it is very useful to have a quickly digested analogue display; it's why most digi dash's have one!

Gadgetman, No it was an idiot. He had no idea he had no oil pressure but saw the warning light and the rising temperature so assumed it was only a water problem.

He delighted in telling everyone after so it must be true.

The tiny alternator pulley he'd fitted was about half the size of the correct one.

It's OK, when he'd rebuilt the engine we set off for Le Mans and he'd broken down about two miles from his house. My lad was in the Disco with all the tools so went back to him. Turned out he didn't have a woodruff key for the alternator pulley so he just did the nut up very tight.

I suspect you know who I'm talking about.