Fog And Planes

tolf

Sat in london city airport fogbound today.

How the hell can fog cripple a plane that costs£3million quid?

Radar equipped, very sophisticated electronics, i can see the entire length of the runway- so whats the problem then?

ATC can provide a collision avoidence service.

bl**dy annoying

Visibility threshold includes information on surrounding terrain and buildings specific to each airport, London City has a lot of tall buildings nearby which ATC cannot move. Also may be fog at your destination?

There are many things that will stop jets flying, the biggest one will be low cloud. Jets can do precision (self) landings but they need to flown manually for the take off.

If the Radar Sector height is above the lowest cloud cover (approx 1900ft for London City) then a jet is not meant to go below that without being visual the surface so ensure Collision avoidance.

Yes ATC are there for collision avoidance, but only with other traffic. If you go into the rules the pilot remains responsbile for terrain avoidance, therefore pilots are less likely to want to fly in marginal weather

Agreed.

Amazing that we can send a man to the moon (alledegly) but we cant fly in fog!

What has one thing to do with the other. If the moon had been foggy they wouldn't have been able to land. :)

landed in thick fog at night in liverpool once..... couldnt even see the ground with no reference out of the window. the captain just stopped dead on the runway and said he had to wait for someone to come and fetch him as he had no idea where he was on the runway so wouldnt taxi.

Depends. IIRC, some pilots use an infra-red landing aid in places like Alaska (sometimes ultra-poor weather and nav equipent / planes not certified for low-vis ops).

I found some stuff on synthetic vision HERE

As mentioned earlier, different airports and planes will have different take-off minima (some as low as 125 metres, which is a pea-souper by anyone's reckoning!).

If you can see the whole runway, then a good bet that departure has been delayed for flow control or for fog at destination (or both).

A stormy Friday evening in Aberdeen. We were waiting in the tin shed called a waiting lounge for the pilot as we watched two mechanics working on one of the engines. They were dressed in sow-westers and could hardly stand up in the storm force winds.

The captain came into the shed, er lounge and announced he was prepared to take off (to Glasgow) if we were. All agreed it was better to fly than spend the weekend in Aberdeen.

Best take off I've ever experienced, at one point I'll swear we were flying sideways. All could be seen as the pilot had left the door open and we could see out the windscreen.

Great flight, great pilot.

If there's fog, more than one aircraft on the field and human beings are involved, I'd rather be safe than sorry. (I've been to Tenerife North and got the chance to go with an airport worker alongside the runway about ten years ago - there's still the odd small piece of debris on the ground.)

Look what happened to the polish presidential jet when they tried to land in fog. It wasn't a good outcome

Yup, if it's the difference between Mr Gadgetman being late, and being the late Mr Gadgetman, I'll stick with a delayed plane.

Just damm annoying that's all.

I fly planes and understand about restrictive heights etc, when you cant attend a v important business meeting thats taken months to organise it is a pain in the :arse:

Anyway, means I dont have to fly home tomorrow, so I can spend time tinkering on the car!

There are many things that will stop jets flying, the biggest one will be low cloud. Jets can do precision (self) landings but they need to flown manually for the take off.

If the Radar Sector height is above the lowest cloud cover (approx 1900ft for London City) then a jet is not meant to go below that without being visual the surface so ensure Collision avoidance.

Yes ATC are there for collision avoidance, but only with other traffic. If you go into the rules the pilot remains responsbile for terrain avoidance, therefore pilots are less likely to want to fly in marginal weather

So what happens in the dark :):):)