Hill Climb And Sprint Thoughts

pickmaster Andy Lowe

Hi Andy

I used a crossflow for Hillclimbs and sprints from 2003-2010

. It is a great engine.

I found it competitive with Std 1800 zetecs as they are in the 130-150 hp range. There are of coarse much more highly tuned ones as well.

However , all the events around the country are run by individual clubs. They All have different ideas on class structures and car specs.

Some will run up to 1700cc, some will run up to 2000cc, some will lump all westfields together.

You will still be able to have good fun learning the tracks , improving your times, meeting other like minded folks.

As Terry says there will always be someone on hand to give advise on car set-up or correct lines

The previous advise about maximising the potential of your existing car is correct in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about classes, target times etc for your first season.

The only problem with 'list 1A ' (std road type) tyres is that they make you Less competitive 'On the day' when compered to list 1B

(track day type) tyres. Because ALL the organising clubs allow list 1B tyres in roadgoing classes, regardless of any WSCC criteria

Stu

I have read this with some interest

I have a reasonably high power car but it struggles on some tracks with lower power cars as it has always been heavy (700kg)

The real point is enjoyment!!!

The people you meet and the banter is all a major part of sprinting

Yes it's fun to be competitive and you will always find there is somebody maybe in a different class that you will swap times with

If its all about the winning then get the cheque book ready you will need it

I always join the speed series and wish I could do more events but am limited on what I can do

This year I intended to do a lot more but the chassis broke on my first event so that has killed this and probably next year as well

As a newbie I would recommend the Westfield series as you WILL find the people friendly helpful

And knowledgable

And nick is not a bad old boy either to try and get some race line tips off

Just make sure he has his glasses on when he is helping you :-)

Some good advice on here. Dip your toe into the water and decide if you enjoy it first before spending on the car. Plenty of things can be done to the car to make it faster without spending big money. Handling is far more benefiicial than power when starting out. One of the best mods I've made to my car has been £50 spent on some second hand springs over much more on power.

There's a;ways plenty of speed series guys at events who will always offer advice and help if needed as well as the comradery of being in a like minded club

Hi,

From someone who did there first season in the ss this year I would say that limiting what you spend on the car would be a good move, as the biggest improvement will be yourself.

I'd say that the argument for lowering to 1700cc in a isn't an issue. A 1600cc won the championship last year, and a 1600cc won class a this year.

I'm a firm believer in the target time system. On a couple of events this year I was the only car in the class, without a target time I wouldn't have had anything to race against or aim for.

I agree that b1's would help "on the day" but last year would have been more of a struggle financially for me if I had to fork out for more expensive rubber.

In all, my first season was brilliant, only negative being i only managed to get to 5 events. The buzz of racing is really addictive and something that you can't get from a track day or driving on the road. All people involved are helpfull and happy to talk from a wealth of experience on what could be a way of improving. I'd recomend the sprint school to anyone wanting to compete, for advice on lines and car control from experienced drivers if nothing else.

Next year I'll be back, hopefully to go quicker! Look forward to seeing everyone then.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi,

From someone who did there first season in the ss this year I would say that limiting what you spend on the car would be a good move, as the biggest improvement will be yourself.

I'd say that the argument for lowering to 1700cc in a isn't an issue. A 1600cc won the championship last year, and a 1600cc won class a this year.

I'm a firm believer in the target time system. On a couple of events this year I was the only car in the class, without a target time I wouldn't have had anything to race against or aim for.

I agree that b1's would help "on the day" but last year would have been more of a struggle financially for me if I had to fork out for more expensive rubber.

In all, my first season was brilliant, only negative being i only managed to get to 5 events. The buzz of racing is really addictive and something that you can't get from a track day or driving on the road. All people involved are helpfull and happy to talk from a wealth of experience on what could be a way of improving. I'd recomend the sprint school to anyone wanting to compete, for advice on lines and car control from experienced drivers if nothing else.

Next year I'll be back, hopefully to go quicker! Look forward to seeing everyone then.

Chris

now the car has a working water system, i should have a proper go next year!

still staying in A.

cheers

John

• Like 1

Thank for all the advice

I'm not looking for any cabinet fillers to dust

But just love driving faster and with more enthusiasm than you can on the road (or my talent can keep up with on the track)

See you all soon

• 2 weeks later...

Do you need to have a national B race licence for the speed series you guys are talking about?

Chris