Hill Climb And Sprint Thoughts

pickmaster Andy Lowe

Thanks for all the help and advice

It's looking like I made the right choise with a Westfield and the WSCC

Can't wait for next year ;)

• Like 1

In terms of sprints and hill-climbs, the X-Flow will put you in the road-going <1700cc class. An 1800 or 2000 Zetec will probably give you more power, but will put you in with the fire-breathing monsters. The best cars in national competition will have around 200bhp in the <1700cc class and may exceed 300bhp in the >1700cc class. In either case, big bucks have to be spent to achieve these numbers.

totally agree with this... as a standard 1.8 zetec i do feel the class is very big, so i'm in my own personal competition.

and very happy

cheers

john

When you look for a series to enter with a 1700 xflow, try to select an MSA club series that has classes up to 1700cc, as opposed to the SS who allow up to 1800cc, which puts you up against the Zetecs :(

Also a class that restricts you to running on MSA approved class A tyres, which is a good leveler as the check book racers won't be able to put down their expensive bought power :d :d :p :p :d :d

Edited to add this will also save you the expenditure of £100.00 per corner on class B tyres :down:

Nothing wrong with our own Class A where you will be welcomed and supported by all the speed series guys regarding set up and spares if your car fails. You dont get that any where else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never got any help on car set up in my years in the SS Terry, only criticism in 2007 for blitzing the competition in my 130 bhp xflow achieving 9 out of 10 class wins! :down:

The camaraderie within the SS is second to none :)

Now not a series for a low powered crossflow :down:

Will "A" ,be a class restricted to MSA class A tyres next year? Will the club drop the ridiculous target times ???? ????

Time will tell!

When you look for a series to enter with a 1700 xflow, try to select an MSA club series that has classes up to 1700cc, as opposed to the SS who allow up to 1800cc, which puts you up against the Zetecs :(

That would be good advice if it was correct. It shows how long it is since you were in the Speed Series. We only have 2off 1800cc Zetec cars currently running in A & F, the A class is a Novice this year and done 6 events and the F class has only done 2 events (not sure why he registers for F)

Please check your facts before giving incorrect advice.

Will "A" be a class restricted to class A tyres next year?

It has been for years, again please check your facts !!!!

Erm do you want to translate your reply Nick :(

We only have 2off 1800cc Zetec cars currently running in A & F, the A class is a Novice this year and done 6 events and the F class has only done 2 events (not sure why he registers for F)

The point I made is the MSA classes are up to 1700 cc.

Will class "A" and "B" be on MSA class A tyres next year

Will the target times be dumped in favour of first past the post for 2013

Simple yes or no would be good.

The free advice is there for anyone who asks and I, amongst others, will give anyone my advice on best lines to drive and car set up. Whether they use the advice is up to them as its only my opinion but I am happy to share and discuss it with anyone. I have driven in B,F H and now G for around 12 years and as an old fart I still love

Terry you are not an old fart ! you are a good guy!

I think you know where I am coming from ;)

The point I made is the MSA classes are up to 1700 cc.

No the point you made is don't enter the Speed Series, thanks for the support of your own club's Series !

No the point you made is don't enter the Speed Series, thanks for the support of your own club's Series !

The point I made is the Speed Series is no longer a series for a low powered 8 valve owner driver to compete and be competitive, as the rules put them up against more modern high powered Zetec 1800 machines.

The MSA classes are up to 1700 cc. Why do the SS allow 1800 to compete?

Edited to add-: Why not create an 8 valve class up to 2.0L for genuine road going owner drivers of classic cars who want to have a go at competition, rather than see the Speed Series die.

Hi Andy, the best advice i can give is to ignore the whole power/upgrade argument for the moment and just enjoy yourself.  If you're only going to be competing in a few rounds then it doesn't matter whose championship you decide to enter, my first season was a very steep learning curve and it was only come the second year of the Speed Series that i felt a bit more power would help compensate for my total lack of talent.  I've sprinted with a few different clubs now in addition to the events i have done with the Speed Series and it has aways been the guys from this club and the SS that have been the most welcoming and willing to offer help.

If you think your car may be down on power compared to others and you are pot hunting then just pick your events carefully and avoid the power circuit with the big long straights.  That said i choose my events on the basis of it being a chance to compete somewhere interesting, if i'm quick on the day then that's just a bonus, if i'm not then at least i would have still has fun.

FWIW my first season was in class A with 115bhp and a 1600 engine.  I've now moved to class C with 1B tyres and have 135bhp.  Contrary to popular belief not all of us have endless amounts of money to spend on our cars to obtain uber power.  They'll be plenty of people there like myself for you to compete against who are just there for the craic and enjoyment of the day.

The point I made is the Speed Series is no longer a series for a low powered xflow owner drivers to compete and be competitive, as the rules put them up against more modern high powered Zetec 1800 machines.

The MSA classes are up to 1700 cc. Why do the SS allow 1800 to compete?

1. No, don't agree, with only 1 1800cc Zetec driver in class A, who did 6 events, how can that be true.

2. That rule has been in for 10 years as Westfield supplied an 1800cc Zetec Car, no reason it cannot be reviewed, but none of the drivers this year has asked us to do so.

3. Yes, Class A has been 1A tyres only for 10 years that I can prove, but I think it is actual since it was first brought out. !!

4. Don't know, it's up to the whole Speed Series Organising Team of 7 people including 4 drivers to decide.

Steve, it's 4 year's since you scored in the Speed Series, it's moved on. We all know you don't like the direction, but lots of others DO.

• Like 1

hey guys, i'm looking forward to a bit ok x-flow competition next year... see u on on the black stuff dudes... :-)

• Like 1