Kevin's Shed

Norman Verona

I assume you mean Ben's place.

Last nights was the 100th edition.

It was a fantasy conversion of a 9 story, 150 year old water tower in central London. 2 lunatics spent over £2 million quid converting it into a house.

Thank whatever for lunatics who fall in love with old buildings. It was fantastic.

• Like 1

I thought that the conversion was fantastic but strange that they did not make the lift go all the way to the top. It would have made it appeal to more if they wanted to sell. Norm is right though they have easily doubled their money and more I would suggest to the right person.

What was good was they had a proper project manager, quality workers who knew what they were doing and pockets deep enough to make it all happen. The cynic in me thinks they had all the cash needed but without the story of not enough money the usual will it won't it get done would have been lost.

He could make his money back easily just by charging for people to go up the tower to see the house. Stunning vision and end result

It's great to watch a project where they have a clear vision and the right team in place to make it happen. And what a building :t-up: I always smile to myself when watching these programs and the people who don't have he first clue about buiding but still think they can project manage it themselves :bangshead:

I've had a couple of experiences with these programs through my work as building inspector, one for grand designs, another on the BBC's To Build or not to Build and then finally DIY SOS :bangshead: :bangshead: in my experience it's normally the clients that provide the story lines for them without too much prompting. In one case the client constantly flouted the conditions of their planning and then went completely off plan with the design, and then on the other the client was using the fact the program was being filmed to persecute the builder (who has a superb local reputation) for a lot of additional works they werent prepared to pay for. Oh and in the case of DIY SOS the works they did don't comply with the building regs :d

I would have been happier if last nights programme was split into two. We didn't see any of the fitting out until it was all finished.

I think they could only get planning consent for the lift tower to go so high.

As Kevin said, when asked if he would live in it, "No, it's in London". Born and bred in the east end of London, I can only agree and 43 years of noise, dirt and crime saw me eff off to Sheffield. Now in France with the nearest neighbour about 1 km away.

Thank whatever for lunatics who fall in love with old buildings. It was fantastic.

Just a minute....you are talking about me and the missus.

Everyone has their own view on where to live. I too would not want to live in a city but for some the vibrancy that cities offer is what they want. Living and working where there are world class theaters resteraunts exhibitions, for some is just perfect. The isolation you now have Norm, is for some a form of punishment.

Whatever it was one of the best shows he has done. It is up there with Bens house and the one in Cambridgeshire where he built everything himself using a conifer tree as a banister and an old oak tree as the staircase.

Yes, agree about the programme being up there with the best.

I think the city/country living thing may be age related. We were in the West End every weekend, theatre, cinema, restaurants. It was great. But then the kids come along and you don't go out as much. Then you get to thinking that your putting up with all the cons and not getting the pro's Like taking an hour to crawl to work which is only 12 miles away.

So at the age of 43 we moved to the Shefffield area. Same 12 miles from city centre but only 15 minutes drive. Folk who had time to ask after you and mean it and spend a minute or two passing the time of day.

For example, the first weekend we went shopping in Chesterfield for stuff for the new office. As we walked across the market square a chap coming the opposite way said "good morning". We walked on and looked at each other before, both of us saying, "do you know him?". It took time to get used to.

Traffic jam in Nanton is when you see someone you want to chat with and stop your vehicles in the middle of the road wind the windows down and catch up on the local dirt. Town life, city of Calgary only 40 mins away and right on the doorstep of the rocky mountains.

Nanton, that well know triangular town

Our claim to fame,a Lancaster bomber,a mosquito to be rebuilt, two grain elevators and three liquor stores. And the Auditorium pub.

watched Ben's build again today from "Kevins favourite"

Wonderful

I think it was sometime in the summer, maybe as early as spring.

If you hang on I'll go and see what the date was.

Back soon.