Rivnuts & Best Tool

ALANBEAL

Hi

just about to start rebuilding my Westie ,had a look on site but question not really answered .WHAT riv nuts do I use aluminium,steel ,stainless steel countersunk or what have you,are there any difference in the quality of riv nuts from different company,s Do we do the notched riv nut in the UK What is the best riv nut tool to buy not cheap but a good mid price if I cannot borrow one so many questions so little knowledge

regards Alan

depends what you are securing them too.

For example. main chassis I use steel, carbon/grp I'm going to use alli.

As for tool... after breaking the last one I had I basically made my own from a piece of flat steel, with a threaded bar through one end (to match rivnut) on apposite end of that threaded end. I screwed on a nyloc bolt (but any long threaded bolt would do. and a washer under that... but on top of the bar... ... clear..

:) maybe not...

I'll take a pic tonight and post it... works very well and never had an issue :)

One thing to remember is that you use Ali on steel it creates a reaction. Electrolytic I think it's called. This is why all landrover defenders fall to bits. Ally body on a steel chassis.

Just make sure you paint any holes you drill and try to use stainless fasteners.

Have a look at

www.memfast.co.uk

they do a large range of tools, from a simple hand puller, to a much better screw variety. And they give excellent back up for there products, also sell a large supply of rivnuts

One thing to remember is that you use Ali on steel it creates a reaction. Electrolytic I think it's called. This is why all landrover defenders fall to bits. Ally body on a steel chassis.

Caterhams too!

Rory's Dad

• Like 1

Very happy with my memfast too. The chap that sells them is very helpful too.

Very happy with my memfast too. The chap that sells them is very helpful too.

Their after sales is also excellent :t-up: i have their original tool, and they replaced a broken mandrel for it completely FOC.

Their after sales is also excellent :t-up: i have their original tool, and they replaced a broken mandrel for it completely FOC.

Yup replaced a couple of my mandrels for free with next day postage as well

I have a couple of rivnut tools one is like a pop rivet gun which is fine for small ones but the daddy is the Memfast one. Mine is the early type which has mandrels but the latest ones use a cap head bolt, will do up to M10 with ease.

As for after service, a freind borrowed mine and broke a manderal because he is a hamfisted, he ran them up expalined the situation and the next day there was a replacement part with him free of charge. I would have not known had he not fessed up. I would highly recommend them.

I have seen the one Matt uses and I agree they too are superb but they will do no more than the memfast one.

I have seen the one Matt uses and I agree they too are superb but they will do no more than the memfast one.

Agreed it's good but unless you need to fit 12mm rivnuts go for a cheaper option. ;)

Memfast FTW. Quality tool, but not cheap. Breeze to use, nice case, MEM rivnuts seem good quality. :yes:

Buy once, job done.

Does look very good quality, when my existing RS tool goes it's what I'll be replacing it with.