Proposal Threatens Modded Cars

Courtault

Haven't we seen the EEC implement Block Exemption a few years ago, to demonopolise the large Car makers stranglehold on Servicing, parts supply and warrantees. This idea seems go back to an even more Draconian way of maintaining our cars, historic or mainstrem. I can't see as an example, Ford making original Model T parts again, it just won't happen.

Yes we have had the block exemption but they are still trying new ways to circumvent those rules by tying up many basic functions in the ECU by attaching them to sensetive security actions which they still are allowed to keep hold of.

The issue at the moment is not just modifying old cars it is any car regardless of age that the proposals affect. It is just that those groups most affected are hot rods and cars where there are no dealer upgrades fitted. The intention being this would be policed under the MOT but as one has noticed before, you are okay if the car is so old it no longer needs an MOT

However, in my opinion this is OUR problem with the EU. The other EU countries do not act on the directives they don't like, even though they vote for them. WE employ another 3000 civil servants to enact everything that emanates from Brussels,

So true, and frustratingly so. We "gold plate" everything that comes from Brussels whilst everyone else ignores the bits they don't like.

A great example of British gold plating of policies is health and safety.

Block exemption was the means that the dealers network franchising system was allowed to operate even though it was illegal under EU anti-competitive laws, hence a "block exemption". Under the franchising system the dealer had to comply with every whim the manufacturer came up with. For example some dealers had to build new showrooms to comply with "brand image". The cost in the south east could be over £1 million. One manufacturer got all it's dealers to buy and sell each other so a whole regions dealers were controlled by one group.

The solution, as happens when politicians try and solve one problem is that the situation is now probably worse. Contracts have replaced dealer agreements and the dealers are worse off. If the UK dealers had a strong trade body they may be able to stop some of the nonsense, fact is they haven't.

The probable outcome of the proposed legislation will be left to the insurers to police. Your policy will be null and void if you have non-approved modifications and therefore, in the eyes of the law, a vehicle which does not comply with the law.

Yea like the ball joints fall off while its stood in the garage :laugh:

Yep like brake hoses or tyres perishing, chassis rusting, brakes seizing, wiring failing through corrosion still with only 25+ years as a mechanic I have never seen any of these thing happen. Oh hang on yes I have all of them and more. ??? ??? ???

Maybe, just maybe, our politicians have stopped testing cars over 25 years old in light of the EU proposals. These are the cars most vulnerable.

Yep like brake hoses or tyres perishing, chassis rusting, brakes seizing, wiring failing through corrosion still with only 25+ years as a mechanic I have never seen any of these thing happen. Oh hang on yes I have all of them and more. ??? ??? ???

Would have thought someone with your experience would be able to spot those things failing well before they become dangerous , isn't that part of the MOT to advise and give out cautionary notes ?

:t-up:

Bernie, you're arguing with yourself, I think. There will be no MOT on 25 and over year old cars. A lot of these will stay in a garage for several years slowly rotting then be taken out on the roads.

The common sense approach would be do as the French do and issue a sticker for the windscreen to show the MOT/CT expiry date. The mileage at the time of the last test could be added. Then a mileage limit can be set for high mileage cars. The policing would be done whenever a policeman inspects the car, like at an accident.

Simple, no cost, no extra civil servants..... Ah, that's why it won't happen, the minister will not be able to increase the size of his department and power.

what does common sense have to do with anything these days , it went out with the dinosaurs , I can see all perishable car parts being date stamped with replacement dates , like everything else we buy from the supermarket has to be labled

Bernie, you're arguing with yourself, I think. There will be no MOT on 25 and over year old cars. A lot of these will stay in a garage for several years slowly rotting then be taken out on the roads.

This is my point. I dont like the idea of 25 year old cars not being tested. I dont like the idea of a two year test either. I see far too many cars only coming in to get tyres checked just because the car is due an mot. How many death traps are going to be on the road if the MOT goes to two years?

Any way we are off the O.P.'s original topic now.

Matt, I think it's all related.

Matt, I think it's all related.

Indeed. Outside communities such as this, people worry about their car's condition only when it stops moving under its' own power or fails an MOT, in my experience. Whilst a set of tyres/brakes doing average mileage might not go from decent condition to lethal in a year they surely will in 2 years.

As to the EU proposal, it's difficult to see what it does actually propose to implement on the ground as the terms used are so vague. Yes, a lot of it sounds worrying, but an equal amount is clearly unworkable as it stands, so it won't make it anywhere near the MOT manual without evolving, and being watered down, if not binned completely, IMHO.

How does your MOT tester find out the correct carburettor that should be fitted to a classic car, after all? Phone the manufacturer?

How does your MOT tester find out the correct carburettor that should be fitted to a classic car, after all? Phone the manufacturer?
The probable outcome of the proposed legislation will be left to the insurers to police. Your policy will be null and void if you have non-approved modifications and therefore, in the eyes of the law, a vehicle which does not comply with the law.

Unless it's been fitted in such a way as to be a visible fire risk I'm not sure anyone would worry. However, there are many items which may have been changed/modified which will be visibly potentially dangerous.

Just a point of order chaps. EU Directives have to to be implemented into national legisaltion and member states have a certain amount of leeway in the way they are implemented (this is why we often gold plate things in UK). So therefore the protest is pointed at the right place but it is probably way too early.

Conversely, EU Regulations are self-executing with no implementing measures needed and no leeway i.e. laws directly imposed on member states by the EC