Proposal Threatens Modded Cars

Courtault

Sorry, but this is a nonsense petition, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It only talks about repealing an existing directive which is in-place and doesn't effect our cars (except for a bit stiffer MoT test, which is already in place and to be honest is not unreasonable).

Where is the text this petition is objecting to?

What in particular is it we are signing up to object to except another scare-story that mods will be banned with no evidence to support this will be the case (as in the other one which ran very recently and after a lot of publicity was found it had no chance of passing into law).

Poorly-written petitions like this which can't explain what they are protesting against coherently devalue the petitions system as its now seen as a waste of time which can be ignored, so no, I won't be signing.

Well said GreigM. To be honest if there is going to be more legislation brought in, in the style of TUV for normal road cars I see that as being a good thing. I see far too many badly bodged cars in the workshop where some young lad has fitted inappropriate parts badly to his car that the MOT has no power to deal with.

If we have to fit type approved parts to cars our cars then for me that can only be a good thing. Last week I was asked to fit 195 section tyres on 9 1/2" wheels the MOT could not fail but the car would not have been safe. :down:

Before we all shout Jean-Marie down are we sure there isn't something lurking. This is the third time I've seen concern about the interpretation of the proposed directive.

Sadly, our parliament has no power to "reconsider or repeal" an EU directive. If the petition has merit then it should be directed to Brussels; and a fat lot of good that would do!

I read that the problem was in PROPOSED legislation.

However, in my opinion this is OUR problem with the EU. The other EU countries do not act on the directives they don't like, even though they vote for them. WE employ another 3000 civil servants to enact everything that emanates from Brussels,

• Like 1

I was recently talking to a chap from Vosa about things like this , not this in particular and he did admit off the record ( he was quite senior ) that we are moving closer towards Europe and undoubtedly at some point although this will take time as per usual we will uncertainly be very similar to Europe .

However a local member was telling me you cannot service your own car say in Italy - but if you go the the garage and pay them they will stamp the service book ;)???

As regards the stiffer MOT , part amendments were brought in January and further new items were to become live in April as failures , as usual this has been delayed and we are still waiting for those items to change from being advisories to failures , so if you have for example an airbag light on this will soon fail , unsafe wiring this will soon fail , insecure battery and insecure engine mounts to name a few which you might think should fail now but won't .

The MOT (Controle Technique) is a farce in France.

If you have a fail, including brakes, you are allowed 2 months (I think it's that but it's more than a few days) to get it fixed and are allowed to drive the car in the meantime.

My 7 has just passed and it has no handbrake, no tear reflectors and no separate hazard warning switch. It would never have passed a UK MOT.

Apparently this is normal in rural France but not in the cities.

I read somewhere that there was a proposal to have the UK MOT moved to biannual to be in line with the rest of Europe.

Having just forked out £50 of my meager income for an MOT when the car has done less than 250 miles since the last test I think bi annual is far too short for some of us .

IMO the MOT should be mileage related not date stamped

Sorry I disagree. The problem with such a small mileage a year people think nothing can go wrong and neglect maintenance. My black Westfield was doing 450miles a year for the last three years I owned it and I like the idea that it was getting a good look over at MOT.

If this is proposed to historic vehicles, which come november will be exempt from MOTs anyway, how are they going to perform these checks?

Are VOSA going to get powers to stop vehicles on the road and check that they are to original manufacturers specification? This is just a joke, will never happen!

If we have to fit type approved parts to cars our cars then for me that can only be a good thing. Last week I was asked to fit 195 section tyres on 9 1/2" wheels the MOT could not fail but the car would not have been safe. :down:

on a modded vw/jap car by some wide boy by anychance? i have never understoon that idea looks **** and dangerous to me

Not sure what the car was to be honest. The chap phoned me up to ask if I would fit the tyres to his wheels and I refused so I never got to see the car.

I have had some involvment with the department of transport with my work in the past and belive me anything is possible. The proposals are that the EU want everything the same in every country and those charged with coming up with the plans are politicians pure and simple. The motor manfactuers are spending millions lobbying as what they want is control. They want every car to be sold and only parts they sell to be fitted. They want all repairs to be done by their network and have fought hard to get that however they have been thwarted by the IAAF and similar bodies abroad. They are elequoant in painting all modifications as bad and those in Brussels are listening.

The petition is well meant but lacks any clarity that reflects the aims of the EU or the reality of what might happen.

I understand Matts views on the badly modified vehicles, but in the UK the aftermarket parts supply business and Kit car manufactuers and modifiers is worth millions and employs thousands of people, this is what is at stake.

For every badly modified car there are many that are done well with no detriment to safety. If you look at Germany where they have very strict TUV rules they still drive badly built cars with streched tyres. These proposals would do nothing but make us all conform and add costs to everything. It is also illogical, make old cars MOT free and yet stop people making then handle better stop better only the EU mandarins, which remember are unelected, could think this is a good way forward.

Sorry I disagree. The problem with such a small mileage a year people think nothing can go wrong and neglect maintenance. My black Westfield was doing 450miles a year for the last three years I owned it and I like the idea that it was getting a good look over at MOT.

Yea like the ball joints fall off while its stood in the garage :laugh: