Hamilton To Mercedes, Confirmed!

Lordbenny

Giving Hamilton the benefit of the doubt that it isnt purely a financial decision you'd have to say it's a ballsy move. If he wasn't happy at McLaren then I don't blame him for going either. To be honest though the Perez to McLaren part is far more interesting for now. Lewis-Mercedes will take a while to develop I suspect.

Good lead to some good development with Mercedes for next year now, hopefully they could get back into winning ways

Little surprised by Perez to McLaren, I would have said PDR was the man to move there

I suspect behind the scenes Lewis had fallen out with a few people at McClaren with his occasional childish behaviour and outbursts. Also the success of Jenson and the regs favouring consistency rather than outright speed has made them question the essential value of Hamilton.

As for Lewis I guess sometimes the grass is always greener on the other side. Either a brave and challenging move for him or foolhardy. Either way I suspect he was going to go somewhere next year if not this year. Better for McClaren that he is at Mercedes rather than Ferrari or Redbull.

His career could go the way Jensons did with a few years in the Doldrums.

I understand money from the team was matched by Mclaren but it was the flexibility to have own external commercial deals that would make the move commercially more attractive.

Would suggest Simon Fullers management team have something to do with this, I suspect they would earn more from a move than resigning with McLaren

Button outlasts Hamilton at Mclaren!, there's a few (dozen) industry pundits who ought to be getting familiar with humble pie.

Perez being signed by Mclaren would have nothing at all to do with Vodafone's sponsorship deal ending and a new deal with TelMex.

It's now 53 races as team mates

1st   2nd   3rd  Points     Per Race
Hamilton   9     8     4     609  11.49056604
Button     7    10     7     603  11.37735849

Edited by Fat Albert

Absolutely. A challenge for Hamilton but if he can hit it off with Ross Brawn and not behave like a **** it could be a great partnership. Feel a bit sorry for McLaren though even with their patchy performance.

Would suggest Simon Fullers management team have something to do with this, I suspect they would earn more from a move than resigning with McLaren

The money and being given number one status, will have been a big driving force. I don't think he liked being on a level footing with Button. He also didn't have Ron Dennis around to protect him anymore and I think even Ron realised it was time to let his 'enfant terible' fly the nest!

I would imagine (and have read speculation) that its also a move favoured by Bernie (no not that one - the little one) as it will spice up next season resulting in lots of talk during the off season and build up.

Think Perez will be interesting to watch, also calls Ferrari's bluff on him replacing Massa.

The money and being given number one status, will have been a big driving force. I don't think he liked being on a level footing with Button. He also didn't have Ron Dennis around to protect him anymore and I think even Ron realised it was time to let his 'enfant terible' fly the nest!

Except that he hasn't got No1 status

Nico Rosberg will have equal status with Lewis Hamilton in 2013

so that leaves...

Mercedes threaten to have a big advantage with the new 2014 turbo engine rules , add the technical strength of Mercedes + Ross Brawn + Hammo = No excuses . The only spanner in the works could be interference from top management , wanting instant results and dictating how it will be instead of letting the team get on with the job of developing the car into a race winner .

I'm only glad they finally got shut of that arrogant so and so Schumaker who let's face it must have been a major embarrasment to the team , long overdue for retirement though a pity we wont ever see him pitted againt Hamilton in the same car :)