Temporary Solution Is Beer...

Andy Rob

Went out tonight to finish the simple job of fitting the top tunnel carpet to my FW complete kit (Zetec 2.0).

Then I realised the handbrake gaiter didn't line up with the gear stick gaiter.

Then I realised that the whole gear stick seemed to be too far forward and with the gear k**b fitted your hand would be hitting the dash board.

Then I came inside and had a beer and a cry.... :cry:

What is happening here? It would seem the gear stick needs to be back about 10cm to fit the carpet and stop your hand hitting. The engine/gearbox certainly doesn't seem to be able to go any further back as its on all it's brackets.

Am I missing something obvious or does anyone want to buy an almost complete Westfield!!! :angry:

a6c14fcf2b39d5467dccf3b20be46a01_zps91696234.jpg

719f55927106833c618aa1547d8eb4e1_zpsbe7c21e1.jpg

That'd be the remote gear lever extension then. Westfield do one for the Type 9, but there's an almost identical and possibly cheaper one available from Rally Design

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Had all sorts of visions of the engine out, etc and I am so close :bangshead:

Surely Westfield should have supplied if it is a complete kit?

Suppose that also means re-doing the tunnel panel, etc. Doh!! :cry:

You could always bend the gear stick but its not as nice to look at

Well no, not necessarily, to some extent how far back you position the engine and gearbox is up to you, depending on engine choice, some like to get it further back in the chassi, in which case you don't necessarily need the extension. Others prefer to have a longer, but bent gear lever and not use an extension at all.

There's a whole long list of things that aren't in the basic kits, or even the modular kits that the car is better with. But this way you have a choice.

No problem, thank you. I will give them a phone next week and ask anyway.

Really appreciate the solution, the beer may not have worked that one out for itself!!

Looks about the same as mine to be honest.

My knuckles are very close to the dash especially in third (and I mean touching) and I'll probably put a bend in my gearstick if I ever have to lift my carpet or tunnel top.

BUT my carpet fits perfectly so I presume it's as intended.

Doug

Carpets used to be supplied un-cut when I bought a set, the gaiters just came loose in the box; you basically fitted the carpet and then cut the holes for handbrake and gear lever where you wanted, then sent them back to the factory and they stitched the gaiters in.

Do they no longer do that?

It does sound odd.

Had a look at some other recent FW build diaries and they all seem to be the same, and no one seems to have fitted the gear lever extension.

My carpets are definitely out though, with the gearstick gaiter being about 10 cm too far forward.....

Think a call to the factory is in order!

No mine came with them stitched in.

The factory obviously do move things on from time to time, and try to improve. :t-up:

ETA Could it be a carpet for a MT75 box? Would that make sense?

Edited by Doug Dastardly

No Gadgetman, the tunnel carpet is one piece and is already fitted with the gaiters sewn in.

As Doug said, standard fitment for a number of years now has been the MT75 box, for which the gear lever comes out in a slightly different position.

Actually, I would suspect the real reason they come premade now isn't for out benefit, it's a disadvantage in many ways. But now that the factory outsources the manufacture of trim it would be very difficult to do the old way.

Had another look there.

The carpet is definitely out. If I run it to the end of the panel and fit the handbrake gaiter, the handbrake gaiter is 90mm too far back from the gearstick.

As Doug says it may be a Type 9/MT75 carpet difference that is the issue.

I don't think the gear extension will be a solution having looked at it again, as this brings it 135mm further back, which will run into a chassis rail and be too close to the gear stick. I think it is in the right postion, as similar to Doug, my knuckles just touch the dashboard in 3rd gear....

Another beer anyone?

Could beer - or in my case cider - be the permanent solution?

My Type 9 didn't have the extension and yes the gear k**b very close to the dash but the carpet came with gaiters sewn in and they fitted - okay ish ( as shame because I've bought some leather gaiters with orange stitching that are now somewhere in the garage).

Mark W at WF will know the answer and arrange for replacements if they've sent the wrong ones.

Back to the beer - I'm currently in Arizona, US, drinking Dos Equis XX by the pool in 106 deg F at 6pm - beer very definitely is a big part of the solution.................

Jon H

• Like 1