Reinstate The Death Penalty?

s2rrr

It's easy to understand peoples anger at the death of two young police women,

Senseless and brutal murders such as this always create a knee jerk reaction by the public at large. It's easy to understand. However when all the shock dissipates people will come to their senses and the wild claims for retribution will die down.

yes it is. its shocking and hopefully an isolated incident. the guy had his reasons and may/maynot be all there given he handed himself in. i strongly dissagree with the death penalty. i dont see it as any deterant just an easy way out for the state to apease people.

i do agree that prison should not be easy and that at the moment to the general public thats what it seems to be.

as of yet no one on here has actually admitted to being locked up for anything serious so to me it seems like we are all talking about stuff second hand and like a bunch of daily mail readers but we all have basic rights no matter what we have done. when we start removing these very basic rights then we as a society are going backwards.

Being locked up for 25 plus years in solitary confinement with one small window and a toilet only for company along with one hour per day exercise, basic food and medical care, no TV, surely scares the crap out of me more than any other possible punishment.

That would put people off!!!

For my sins I happen to know several people who have served time at her majesty's pleasure. None of them enjoyed it and in most cases ensured they didn't go back.

It may seem like a holiday to a lot of people but I'm told it's far from fun.

I have always supported the death penalty, but in the abscence of that life should mean life, which is what the British public was promised. I am also a supporter of democracy, so that being the case shouldn't the public be allowed a vote on it? Unfortunately this has been taken away from us by those in power and the EU so we have no say. When you see the differance between our old peoples homes and the prisons that we have there is a disparity that is wrong. I too know people who have been in prison one of who had the birch as well for his trouble. In the 60's and 70's it was a proper punishment but now it is not. Yes losing your liberty and being told what to do for some is unbearable, for others it is not. When you see cases of criminals tweeting from prison about how easy it that shows the balance is wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can understand how people would be uncomfortable with it but cold blooded killing where there is no shadow of doubt like in the case of Brady and this guy should carry the ultimate punishment. If that makes me a worse human than others it is something I can live with.

Jeff

I'm with you on that one, unfortunately the legal system declares people guilty when it is beyond all shadow of a doubt which has thrown up a few errors over the years. However if someone is absolutely 100% guilty they should simply be disposed of. Might even educate some of the trainee scumbags inside to think before they commit to their crimes.

Bob :(

And you assess 100% guilty how?

And you assess 100% guilty how?

We now have DNA CCTV and many advancements in detection that make it much easier to establish 100% guilt the law would be the one's assessing the facts and subsequent guilt or innocence. There are many inside where there is absolutly no doubt, but where there was any indication of the slightest doubt then life inside. This example in Manchester appears as reported to be beyond any shadow of doubt as to guilt at least on the Police women, not necessarily on the other two he is alleged to have murdered. This is the kind of person who will never come out rehabilitated.

I know of a couple of people that have been locked up for a couple of years, then once out they couldn't support the lifestyle they had inside, so committed crimes to go back in.

But I guess it depends on crime/prison and sentence.

DNA testing and CCTV are far from the panacea to law enforcement that the people who sell those services would have you believe. DNA testing particularly, especially as it has to follow chain of evidence - which - you guessed it - relies on humans. And we are far too fallible.

I'm just trying to work this out. If YOU are satisfied he/she must be guilty you'll kill them. But if YOU are not sure you won't but you'll put them in prison for life.

I thought the law said guilty or not guilty. I haven't see a "maybe".

It does strike me that there is a BBC programme running at the moment, Good Cop, which started with 2 policeman being lured to a house with the intent of murdering one or both of them. Did this psychopath get the idea from this?

Interesting to note that the broadcasting of this programme tonight has been pulled. It was showing on the epg at 16:00 but not at 16:15

I'm just trying to work this out. If YOU are satisfied he/she must be guilty you'll kill them. But if YOU are not sure you won't but you'll put them in prison for life.

I thought the law said guilty or not guilty. I haven't see a "maybe".

When someone is convicted it is a jury who decide the result. My point is that where there is definate guilt that is not just dependant upon circumstantial evidence like Brady, or the Soham muderer then I have no issue. If there was the slightest chance that the decision is based on opinion and conjecture then life in prision is the better option. But we can debate this for ever and it will not change the law, there is a better chance of longer sentances.