The Good Old Days Of Fixing Cars!

windy

I've just seen this on another forum about the resurfacing and recommissioning of the Rest & Be Thankfull hillclimb in Scotland.

Following the demise of the "new" road, due to landslips in the recent bad weather, the local authority are now re-surfacing the old road to use as a bypass. The alternative route is currently a 50 mile detour.

When not in use, i.e. when the new road gets repaired again, it is likely to be made "available" for motorsport.

Picture the good old days of rallying when Ari Vatanen drove the hill & broke his differential in the "famous Scottish Rally Diff incident". To get going again they stopped a road going MK1 Capri to nick the diff from & left the owner to get his car (with no axle) back to the dealership.

Great stuff - enjoy!!!! :d

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd8nrs_ari-vatanen-differential-problem_sport

• Like 1

Brilliant video :d i just can't imagine that happening now :)

i just can't imagine that happening now :)

it wouldn't

there aren't enough 3 litre Capri left... :laugh:

great film

think I would have told 'em to get the cheque book out first though :t-up:

R&BT used to be top venue in the british hillclimb championship fantastic venue :t-up:

This brings back memories - I did the Scottish three times back in the 70s and early 80s. This was when they had a class for Army Landrovers - not exactly quick but great fun. :)

DSC00825.jpg

very good - I remember people sharing Diffs during Sporting Trials in the early 80's. I followed my late Father around doing them until 1987 (Robin Alexander/Passenger John Boswell) - Great video - cheers :t-up:

Funnily enough, my current avatar pic was taken at the top of the Rest during one of our runs earlier this year - it was snowing a few minutes before the photo was taken!

Matt

In the 60s the BMC works team mechanics would turn the minis on their side to gain access to the underside.

I was working at University Motors in Shepard's Market at the time and the Monte cars would come to us. I did wonder why the drivers doors had scratches on it.

as I said on the BRF thread I have rallied it a couple of times on the lombard including in the dark

superb stage !

thats a brilliant video - how bl**dy young did Vatanen look and who was Penti Harry Carla :)