At The End Of My Westy Tether

Conehead

I have met the guys before and they are all very nice blokes. But unfortuantley i drive past the pub on the way home from work and it would be a long lonely wait from 5 to 7 when people start arriving.

I drive past our meeting pub too, then drive back again later :laugh: Always feels like an hour or so wasted, but never thought to not do it.

2 hours in a pub! What's wrong with that.

Ok you have a catch tank but have you checked that all the pipes are connected and to the right place.

What size is the breather pipe from top of rocker cover to dry sump tank? mine is a about 3/4" diameter.

On my old x flow (wet sump) I had one 1/2" pipe from block to catch tank, and one 1/2" from rocker cover to catch tank, when I tried altering them to "HOW" they should be ie from block to rocker then rocker to catch tank it blew oil out everywhere from that I deduced 1/2" wasn't big enough to breath for both block and top end.

So check the size, also have a good look inside the breather pipe the oil can perish the pipe internally whilst still looking perfect externally.

At least you are running again, keep an eye on oil levels.

Does the leak only become apparent after giving it the beans? the harder you rev the harder it has to breath.

Does the leak only become apparent after giving it the beans? the harder you rev the harder it has to breath.

This is the bit that gets difficult to tell as the out journey may not leak the return will.

My dry sump setup seems to be different to yours, rocker - tank, tank - breather. How it has always been with no previous issues.

The engine has 2 breathers. One from the rocker and one from the crank. The crank breather is at the rear on the same side of the carbs. When I ran it they both went to the d/s tank then from the tank to the catch tank

I was under the impression one of the bonuses of the dry sump is that the engine runs under a negative pressure internally.

I have found and replaced a damaged scavenge pump hose. This may have been sucking air into the pump during normal running - hows this for a theory!

Worn hose on (jubilee clips had worn through) when engine ran, oil pump scavenged more air than oil.

I assume the pump scavenges at the same rate as it delivers into the engine otherwise there would be an oil shortage, which also means that the oil level should be constant in the small dry sump as well as the oil tank.

Although if the scavenge pump was drawing more air than oil the sump would over fill. If I am correct and when running the dry sump makes the engine run at a negative pressure then there would be no great oil leaks during running. Once switched off the oil may leak?

Am I stupid and have just invented this in my mind!

If not then a possible solution may be to empty some oil from the sump plug!

That pump is only a 2 stage. 1 stage pump and 1 stage return. You would be need a 3 stage pump to run a vacuum. 1 stage pump and 2 stage scavenge.

While you are correct in that the pump returns the same oil it pumps but the oil also creats gas as it gets hot and it also expands.

I did experiment with just running the rocker breather myself and it did pressurise the crank.

AHA!

Gotcha so I have to buy a new pipe and run it from the block breather to the catch tank. This is then my fault as I must have a stage 3 oil pump on my 1.3 engine to suit the current dry sump setup.

This may explain my issue!

I did notice that my old block had a hole drilled and tapped in the front face of the engine as it only have a 4 port pump.

scavenge side pumps more oil than the feed side..

old tiger cub had a twin plunger - one bigger for scavenge.. smaller for feed.

you could whip off the oil cap and watch the oil return - begins with a constant stream of oil then after a few seconds more air bubbles appear in the stream as the pump clears the crankcase/sump.

the oil weeps down slowly to the lowest point over time - so between runs the oil gathers in the sump and needs to be cleared at each start.

you couldn't do that if the feed and return were the same could you?? ;-)

i know an old english bike is a bit of a different animal but the theory can't be far off can it?

As a stupid statement / question, why not have the area meeting, just for once, in Conehead's garage? I'm sure he could make everyone a brew, and you could all assist with the car? Yes, it will probably annoy the neighbours when a heap of noisy Westies turn up, but its a one off!!!!
:t-up:

I have a big bbq and loads of burgers, last journey a strange knocking has started from the rear left wheel. First impression is the wheel bearing is fine but it doesn't sound like the diff. Don't worry i wont start looking into it till i have fixeed the oil leak.

Can some just give me quick reassurance that the wheel wont drop off on a drive!

As a stupid statement / question, why not have the area meeting, just for once, in Conehead's garage? I'm sure he could make everyone a brew, and you could all assist with the car? Yes, it will probably annoy the neighbours when a heap of noisy Westies turn up, but its a one off!!!!
:t-up:

no that is a good idea :t-up: