Fw Zetec Lambda Sensor Wiring

jonjh1964

I'm getting to the end of my build and clearing off my "to-do-list" the only thing I can now do without the delivery of some parts from Westfield is tidy up the Lambda Sensor wiring. Currently I have it wrapped up in a ball and tucked behind the washer bottle and I believe I need to drill a hole in the side panel and route the cable through it but that needs the sensor connector to be removed. I've looked at the connectors and can't work out how to take it apart and on top of that two of the wires are white.

Is there a technique for removing the pins from the connector shell or do I need to buy a new connector and re-wire?

Does it matter which way the two white wires are fitted to the connector?

or can I just route the wire under the bodywork and then clip to the chassis when the side panel ends, tucking the surplus into the ECU Loom?

Jon

I went for your second option- under the chassis, then up to the diagonal brace above the washer bottle, where I cable tied the excess wire and connector.

I've read of people cutting off the plug and fixing a new one once through the body, but I'm happy with my routing.

Thanks Doug, I've ordered a replacement socket and plug to keep my options open and will make the final decision when I confirm the Lambda Sensor wiring. Mine is a 3 wire sensor and the OMEX manual only gives details of a 4 wire sensor. I assume the 2 white wires are the heater and the 3rd black wire the sensor output and on a 4 wire sensor the 4th grey wire is a dedicated output earth.

My zetec went through the body. Asked the factory to fit it under the chassis rail on my current car - wires rapped in corrugated plastic tubing. Easy to fix if anything goes wrong.

So far 2 x under the chassis and I know Kev Todman and Nipolina replaced the connectors and drill a hole through the side body so there's no issue with the IVA whichever I choose which was my main concern with the under the chassis route that I have currently.

Many thanks all

Jon H

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a new connecter and drilled through- no probs . When the factory did a pre IVA emission check we found we had not made a good connection resulting in a very lumpy tick over. Mark in sorting it mentioned that readings from the sensor can be affected if you shorten the wire significantly. Hope that helps!

Thanks Doug, I've ordered a replacement socket and plug to keep my options open and will make the final decision when I confirm the Lambda Sensor wiring. Mine is a 3 wire sensor and the OMEX manual only gives details of a 4 wire sensor. I assume the 2 white wires are the heater and the 3rd black wire the sensor output and on a 4 wire sensor the 4th grey wire is a dedicated output earth.

i think your right with the wire colours there. its just a standard 3 wire oxygen sensor nothing engine specific so you might be able to find something online. if your careful you should be able to take the connector appart the pins one open only held in with a tab on the crimped part

Thanks to everyone for their inputs - I'm away with work for a week and when I get back the only things remaining on the car before the IVA in Oct are: Getting the engine running within the emissions requirements, fit the IVA kit, fit the inner panels under the dash, fit the front grill and decide on the Lambda sensor routing. If I run out of time I'll leave it where it is currently and look to go through the bodywork post IVA.

Jon H

best thing i did for the emissions was to just take it somewhere and have them tune it properly. i didnt really understand what i was doing and had none of the diagnostic equipement needed to measure the emissions.

• 4 years later...
On 01/09/2012 at 11:03, jonjh1964 said:

Does it matter which way the two white wires are fitted to the connector?

Digging up an old thread as I am having a look at the lambda sensor I got with my exhaust/engine

2017-02-05+15_53_23.jpg

Can anyone confirm that the white (heater) wires are interchangeable?

Looking at the photo as all the wires have previously been cut and joined I would suggest that the one that has been joined on the sensor portion of the wiring is re-connected to the portion of white wire from the connector that doesn't have a join it already, and vice versa for the other.

26 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Are you running a cat on your car Quinten ? Do you need a lambda  ?

No, don't run a cat, but the engine has been mapped with it in place, so want to keep it as close as possible to the way the engine was in the other Westfield.

26 minutes ago, Yanto said:

Looking at the photo as all the wires have previously been cut and joined I would suggest that the one that has been joined on the sensor portion of the wiring is re-connected to the portion of white wire from the connector that doesn't have a join it already, and vice versa for the other.

Doh!  How I didn't spot that...   Brilliant thinking!

Vote here for no lambda...   I'm a real novice to this petrol stuff having only played with diesels exclusively for 22 years, and the only a mini a series so no emission controls.   My understanding is that the mapping is done with a lambda to read what's coming out of the exhaust.  As a tool only.   Only after the mapping is done it just acts to tidy / trim the fueling if the emmissions go out of range.   There for it shouldn't make much difference other than emissions.   Before sending mine off to be mapped I asked if there was any benefits as I was willing to add a sensor and the response was just emmissions and if it's a q and no cat then there's no gain at all.