Harness Eyebolts And The Iva

Andy Rob

Doing my final checks for IVA and have a quick query about harness eyebolts.

Where they screw into the chassis at the rear (behind your shoulders) I have noticed that the thread does not go all the way through the welded captive nut. They therefore do not show at least 2 screw threads which i believe is an IVA requirement.

Does this matter, or does this rule not apply to welded captive nuts on the chassis?

I did look to see whether longer harness eeybolts where available online, however the ones supplied with my complete kit already have 50mm of thread and are already classed as 'extra long'.

I'm not saying that your test would be the same as mine but......

My tester asked how they were attached and I described it and he was happy at that. I didn't have to remove my boot box at any point during the test.

Thanks Doug, just doubling checking everything, as not sure how I will fair in an IVA in Northern Ireland!

As my body work at the back is slightly higher on one side, I had also played about with putting some washers underneath the collar that goes round the eyebolt. Whilst this did allow all the eyebolts to sit above the bodywork at exactly the same level - it did mean even less thread was screwed into the captive nut.

Think I will abandon that idea!!

As my body work at the back is slightly higher on one side

Driver's side? ???

Don't blame me or quote me if you fail, I'm just relating my experience. There does seem to be some differences in the application of the tests.

Have you booked a date yet?

Sorry to say this but when i had my IVA I had to remove the boot box so he could check the bolts went through, the chassis (welded sleeves). So I think it could depend on the day. If you have 50mm bolts as you say they are the longest type you can get, so if queried you could unscrew it to show that sufficient length is bolted in.

hope that helps

Paul

Yep, drivers side. Despite about 4 days of mucking about with it - it was the best compromise. Looks ok, but with the different heights of eyebolts it did give it away a bit!

No IVA date yet, have just received my final bits from WF, so have a week off to get the last jobs completed. IVA papers will be going in then too. Will have the car completed just in time for the snow!!.

Recently got my ECU back from WF, who remapped it after our previous conversations. It's running as sweet as a nut now!

Cheers Paul - think I will just have to run with it and hope for the best!

Yep, drivers side. Despite about 4 days of mucking about with it - it was the best compromise. Looks ok, but with the different heights of eyebolts it did give it away a bit!

Sounds just like mine. I presume its just the way they are because after days mucking about with it, I gave up and accepted it. :( I'm not saying it couldn't be better, but I'm positive it's not possible to get it perfect.

I don't think anyone else notices it and I've got used to it now. The covers for the RAC bar help disguise it, if you've got one.

Thats what I would do, I found with my tester you could discuss points with him, so go with it and good luck.

• Like 1

I think my car is identical to yours Doug, in all but colour.

I have the RAC roll bar and fitting the covers are one of my last jobs. Started them tonight - think I will be faffing with them all weekend!!

I guess the leather IVA covers for the harness clips will hide a bit too!!

They do......but mine just 'fell off' straight after IVA :oops::d

• Like 1

The requirement to have two threads exposed is a general engineering "standard" to ensure adequate engagement within the standard nut and for it to be seen easily without the need to dissassemble. For threaded fixings like the eye bolt I would suggest taking a photo of the eye bolts with a 6" rule alongside them to demonstrate that they are of sufficient length. You only really need engagement for a diameter or so (Set out in BS or EN standards somewhere) because after that its immaterial they could snap off anyway no matter if they were mega long. Too short and you are in trouble as the thread strength would be insufficient to ensure they don't rip out, same as wheel nuts discussed here before. If you mark the eye bolts uniquely with say a permanent marker which shows on the photo it may convince the IVA tester that although they do not protrude they are of sufficient length to engage fully. It also lets him know that you have thought this one through and have considered it in engineering terms. Now if the IVA document tells you that you must have protrusion then it could be a different story but don't recall seeing that before.

Hope that helps, but its all down to the IVA examiner on the day if you exude engineering excellence withut being a smart ar*e you should be ok as long as you stay within the rules.

Good luck

Bob :)

Mine weren't even checked - covers stayed on throughout the test and everything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know whether it is too late for this to be useful to Nipolina but for information, I raised this question with Westfield while preparing my Eleven for IVA. I was told that the official answer is that the threaded portion of the eyebolt for seatbelts has to be screwed into the fitting a distance at least equal to 1.5 times the thread diameter. As most seat belt bolts are 7/16 inch diameter (~ 11 mm) they should be screwed in at least 16.5 mm or so, but they don't need to protrude out of the end of the fitting if it's longer than that. On my IVA test the inspector checked this by feeling how near the bolt came to the open end of the threaded fitting.