• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hogman

• Westfieldman

• Westfields Rock On

• Jon Murray

Well was an excellent event enjoyed it thoroughly, abit gutted mine wasnt there due to that fuel pump  :angry:  :0  ???  :(

Ah well next time!

Heres the figures from the computer giving BHP at the flywheel, I also have photos of each car showing max power at the wheels - these figures will be posted soon...

Name         Type               Power      Weight  power/weight

Roger         V8                  195          743      262

Jon            V8                  210          740      284

Paul           1.8 Zetec        174          579      300

Daz            Megablade       133          482      276

Richard       2.0 Vauxhall     152          664      229

Wroxy        2.0 Pinto          95           ---       ---

So the winners are....

Most BHP -                  210bhp Jon Murray V8

Most Torque -              275lb/ft Jon Murray V8

Lightest Car -              482kg Daz Megablade

Best Power to Weight -  300bhp/tonne Paul Jones 1.8 Zetec

Well next is the power at the wheels which tell a slightly different story, further info shortly!

Cheers and thanks to all who turned up!

There will be pictures and a write up in the next Westfield World!

Kevin

Oh Yeah,

Did I mention 275 lb/ft of torque at any time yesterday ??  :D  :D  :D  :p

To be honest, this seemed a little high to me, so I just checked the plot, added the 10% Dennis knows his rollers are underreading and got a figure of 260 lb/ft.  The 275 figure came from Dennis after he did a little mental arithmatic.  Oh well, still impressive for a standard engine!

BTW, does anyone know the conversion rate for N/m to Lb/ft, just so that I can check it against the factory figures ?

Cheers,

Jon

Right after checking the photos showing the maximum everyone got on the rollers AT THE WHEELS, there seems to be alittle change in the awards!!!  :0  :0  :0  :p

Name         Type               Power Flywheel  Power Wheels    

Roger         V8                  195                  163

Jon            V8                  210                  181

Paul           1.8 Zetec        174                  136

Daz            Megablade       133                  100

Richard       2.0 Vauxhall     152                  123

Wroxy        2.0 Pinto          95                    72

So now looking at the power at the wheels (most accurate surely as the flywheel figure is based upon a computer calculation??? )......

The winners are....

Most BHP -                  Jon Murray V8 (181bhp)

Most Torque -              Jon Murray V8 (260lb/ft)

Lightest Car -              482kg Daz Megablade (482kg)

Best Power to Weight -  Jon Murray V8 (245bhp/t)

So the contention for the title is between Jon and Paul for the power to weight - which figures shall we choose?

Looks like Jon mopped th floor with us in his mighty V8!

Cheers

Kevin

Interesting that Paul has the highest transmission losses. Could this be down to the straight-cut box?

Many thanks Kevin for organising the day & sorry you couldn't join in the challenge.

Regards

Richard

p.s. I can get to 235 bhp/tonne by removing my 16.5kg spare wheel

;)

Power losses as % 19.16.28.33.23.31  or 16.13.21.24.19.24 depending which figures you use flywheel or wheels.

Loose the fuel or fill that looong range tank up and the Pendulum swings my way

Can sence a Racline Duratec coming soon.

Paul.

Thanks for the Nm conversion info Paul, very useful.  :t-up:

At wheels figures or not, I'm sure Paul's car would p*** all over mine on a track not due to the power to weight ratio, more the fact its 200Kgs lighter and will corner better!!  The old lard A*** V8 makes a great noise though and just eats up those summer afternoon miles!

What might be fun! :) and another guide to power/weight, would be to stick my AP22 performance meter into everyone's car and time some 0-100 mph runs, I can plot them all on the same graph in Excel.  Might be interesting !!

Any thoughts - anyone got a dissused airfield in their back yard? :)

As a taster, my best 0-100 so far is 11.75 secs on Avon ZV1 (super rock hard) tyres! This was with a 0-60 time of 4.85 secs, which I think could have 0.3 secs knocked off with (much) stickier tyres.

Jon

Hi there

BHP,Torque,power to weight i think we have all forgotten one thing hat/car co-ordination  :D  :cool:  :D

I think you'll find that i win hands down on that one :t-up:

Great day see u at Cadwell

DAZ

Yeah was a great day, next time I will be there in my westie too!!  :0  :D  :p  ;)

Yeah Daz wins the fashion award for the event!!  :cool:  :p  ;)

Hey Jon the AP22 performance meter sounds great, let me know how it works and I am sure we can come up with something to do this with!

And the final award has to go to Wroxy, its for the least BHP loss through the drive train - just 23bhp! Well done that man!!

So think thats all the awards done, well done everyone!!

Cheers

Kevin

yeah! #### straight!

45s here sometime soon, then silencer.

should help that low figure rise a little.

whos this fella paul knows called neil that gas flows pinto heads. How much does that cost and whats the bhp increase/ advantages?

Kev,

Have a look here for info on the AP-22

It's a great gadget, works using accelorometers (spelling?) and is suprisingly accurate.

Need a half mile straight really for 0-100 runs, as it will take about a quarter mile for most people to get there, then a sensible distance to stop in.

Wroxy - don't even think about suggesting the M18 !!!

Jon

Wroxy - don't even think about suggesting the M18 !!!

Jon what about the A180 lots of laybys and loads of grip :devil:  :D  :)  :t-up:

Paul.

Wroxy Snr

If you want to contact Neil ring Duncan [the man who went of on his bike for the box of tricks] he will know Neils number or how to get hold of him Duncan lives in Scunthorpe and will help out or do for you the fitting of the bits you have in the post he may even have some bits or even a head

Duncs number 01724 352801 after 7pm

You will still need to go to Dennis for a rolling road set up to get the best from it also ask if you can fit Ignition only ECU to the pinto using a Zetec coil pack and a throtle pot to 2D map it as if not you will soon be into single figures for mpg.

Paul.