Newbie - Thinking Of Buying A Westfield...

headshot_harry

It looks a a good road car and has the components composite with age like the spax shocks. Stance in photos looks odd, but that could be me and it looks like carbon effect bits.....so would be worth checking carefully. Nothing wrong with it but ......

Personally Ivor's at £7500 is a better purchase. In fact I would be tempted for Ivor's at £7900 as he asks and get all the extras as well.

Thank you guys, been looking closely at Ivor's as well. Only issue is it is in Yorkshire, and I am in Sussex, so viewing could be an issue. I do like the carbon bits, but I guess I could change bits to match.

Most of us have had to travel a bit to find the right car at the right price, I went on a trek from South Essex to Tamworth , Wolverhampton, Boston in one day and another to Bournemouth and Swindon. Found the one I wanted in the end and worth the travelling. Forum members have also come from France, Germany and Finland to seek out their Westy in the UK. You just have to be committed to the cause.

What kind of performance would this give? I'm guessing plenty of road / track fun?

Plenty for the road and very enjoyable on the track as the main thing with the likes of these cars on the track is the braking and cornering. I've done a few track days with it. Elvington was brilliant fun. Literally drive around the outside of 911s on the bends and out braked everything as and when I wanted to. On the main straight was out powered by highly tuned Subarus but come the end of the straight and it was straight past on the brakes before pulling away easily on the twisty bits.

Left the windscreen on for Donnington and found it was a little underpowered on the straight but again brakes and cornering more than made up for it. If I'd put the aero screen on as I usually do for the track, the straight would've been no issue.

Blyton was grip, grip and more grip. Nothing barring other similar cars could keep up on the sweeping bends back to the paddock area. Very fast and very grippy.

Did go to Nuburgring in 2011 but if I'm honest, was a little overwhelmed by the whole place so never really go into the laps which was only 2 in total as I spent most of the time looking in the mirrors. Would be great fun there if you had the time to learn the track.

On the road, you go nowhere near the limits and the whole thing is great fun. I moved to the Westfield from bikes and although they'll never compare on the straights, the bends are, in my opinion, much more fun.

I know it's my car but I believe it's a good one. Been built and looked after very well and been set up well. I think it's a good balance between a full on track day car and a road biased tourer.

You're more than welcome to come and have a go in it and see for yourself. I'm not in a rush to sell but I have bought another project which is getting my main focus leaving the Westfield in the garage hence it's for sale.

It genuinely has been a real pleasure owning this car and I will miss it when it's gone.

Contact numbers are on the ad if you have any questions.

Steve

been looking closely at Ivor's as well.

I presume the avatar bit or user name is causing this mix up but it's not Ivor, it's Major, my surname.

Sorry for the confusion, Steve Major.

Thank you guys, been looking closely at Ivor's as well. Only issue is it is in Yorkshire, and I am in Sussex, so viewing could be an issue. I do like the carbon bits, but I guess I could change bits to match.

As Soot1e says, don't restrict yourself to your local area Harry. Many of us have had to travel a fair distance to find the right car and some journeys have been epic. :d It might not prove a successful trip but you don't want to be in the "if only I'd...." bracket a bit further down the line, if you end up compromising yourself and the choice available, by buying close to home.

For me buying a Westfield is a bit like meeting the right girl. You've got to play the field and venture out of area a bit but, when you find the right one, you just know it feels right and realise that all the others were just 'dogs!' :d Unless you are one of those "lucky-in-love, at first sight" sorta fellas of course. ;)

I would also strongly advise, as has been often repeated, getting along to some meets and also looking, wherever possible, at cars being sold by members of this forum. Usually they come with lot's of history, lot's of trick bits, (to cover road and track use), are very well cared for and also vouched for by other members on here. And if that's not enough you usually get a degree of ongoing and willing advice and assistance from the previous owner who wants to see their car go to a good home. And believe me, you will have questions. IMO you will almost always get more 'bang for your buck.'

So as Mark says, Steve Major's is a very complete package for the price and no, I'm not on a commission.

Good luck and don't let the heart rule the head mate.

Steve

Steve Major's is a very complete package for the price

Steve

Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve.

I also agree about the questions that you will have. My new project is a Hawk HF3000 and I've been in touch with the previous owner / builder several times already and I've only had it about 7 weeks. I'm learning a whole new kit and having much fun along the way.

Steve

PS - I'm planning on going to the Donnington Kit Car show in the Westfield on the 1st & 2nd Sept so that will get it a little closer :)

[\/][ajor1' timestamp=1345743152' post='980919]

My new project is a Hawk HF3000

V. Cool :cool:

Can I request you start an ownership thread. Or at least post a piccy or two.

Can I request you start an ownership thread.

I didn't know there was such a thing (an ownership thread) but here's a few pics. It's been stood for 5 years so in need of a little recommissioning but it will soon be in tip top condition......and for the record, the damage to the front was done by me at the local garage whilst having a pre MOT done. :blush::cry:

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

• Like 1

Well smart :t-up:

That's what I call a door pocket!

What sort of engine is in it?

(sorry for the thread hijack - that's why I suggested an ownership thread, but it could be a recommisioning thread)

(sorry for the thread hijack)

Likewise :blush: ...new thread created

Thank you everyone for all the help and advise.

The more I look at it the more I really like Steve's SEiW to be honest. Once I get myself into a 100% position to make a purchase I'll be in touch.

Thanks once again everyone.

[\/][ajor1' timestamp=1345642015' post='980654]

Not sure if it's of any interest to you but I have mine up for sale at the moment and would take £7.5k for it.

http://www.pistonhea...les/4063578.htm

Others on here are free to give you comparative advice.

Hi Steve,

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you if you don't mind? (sorry, I am unable to reply on the for-sale thread)

I'm beginning to swing more towards your car I think, so plans are building in my head :-)

Edited by headshot_harry